Options

South Africa Elegant Adventure- some tips I wish I knew before going

Just returned from this trip. It is awesome - an experience of a lifetime. Some tips before you go:
1) Water is safe to drink and ice is safe at all the hotels on this itinerary EXCEPT for Victoria Falls Hotel. We ate salads at all the South Africa hotels/lodges. No stomach problems at all with anyone in our group.
2) Most people in our group had all the vaccinations (Yellow Fever too) and were taking malaria pills. Only one or two people reported getting bitten. Bug repellent spray is provided at Sabi and Tinga lodges. We didn't get any at Vic Falls Hotel. We used our own.
3) bring TSA approved luggage locks for the airline travel within Africa for your checked luggage. Yes, pay attention to the luggage weight limits.
4) In addition to the book donation (mentioned in the Tauck documents) - there is also an opportunity to donate clothing to an orphanage in Zimbabwe. You can leave any new or used clothing at the Guest Services desk at Vic Falls Hotel. Some in our group left their safari clothing and hats there. Some others bought new children's clothing in Jo-burg and donated it in Zimbabwe.
5) Didn't see any huge bugs but they do give you insect spray (called DOOM) in Tinga Lodge.
6) Saw every animal between Sabi and Tinga - fantastic experience. Bring binoculars. A 12-MegaPixel digital camera with 4x zoom (sort of a basic Nikon) is not powerful enough to get all the detail if you are interested in taking pics of all the animals. If you are interested, invest in a much better camera with a zoom lens.
7) Bring small bills of US Dollars for Zimbabwe. They accept Rands or US $. You can also bargain in Zimbabwe. Some in our group traded their sneakers and hats for items at the marketplace. We were warned NOT to use credit cards in Zimbabwe so have cash before you get there.
8) Vic Falls was very humid and the walking trail is slippery - be sure to have sneakers or shoes that grip well that can get wet. At the Falls, it was a rain forest environment but humid and sunny back at the hotel. It was so hot back at the hotel that clothing and shoes dried by the next day. Tauck provides umbrellas and ponchos so no need to pack those. Bring something to protect your camera from the moisture (ziplock?)
9) Of the dinners that are included in the itinerary - The first two nights in Capetown (Welcome Dinner and Winery), all four nights in the bush (Sabi and Tinga) and the last night (Farewell Dinner) - also include all alcohol. Just mentioning this when you are calculating the cost of the trip. On the remaining dinners that are included with Tauck, you just pay for your alcohol.
10) All tips are included - most people in our group tipped the Rangers and Trackers on the safari and left a few Rand for housekeeping in the hotels.
11) Be ready for the Land Rovers on safari. You must be able to hoist yourself up to climb up into them. A few in our group had trouble with this.

Comments

• Options
    GREAT TIPS. We are going in September. So I usually wear flip flops.......should I bring sneakers?
  • Options
    We are leaving this weekend. Your tips were very helpful.
    Thanks.
  • Options
    you definitely need something more than flipflops............you'll be glad you took sneaks. the wine dinner is marvelous and we all dressed up a little for that. i was on this trip this past october/november and loved it. i got to capetown early and had a cabbie who took me around. try and see the gardens......they are beautiful and should be in bloom (more so than in october. enjoy!
  • Options
    Terrific tips! I read this as your tag line looked interesting; very glad I did! We are not (yet!) going on this trip, but I wanted to complement your review - we should follow suit, such advice is so pertinent. (Heading w/ Tauck to Turkey early May). Thanks.
  • Options
    I just returned from the April 23rd South African Elegant Adventure. It would have saved me a lot of effort, time, and money if I had been reassured that since we would be doing our safaris in a vehicle it was not necessary to wear safari color clothing. Any color and any type of clothes will do. It's nice to have the safari pants and/or shirts, but not necessary, and bright colors are not a problem.

Also, be aware that the mornings are quite cold. Blankets and ponchos are provided but I found gloves and ear muffs a good accessory to have.

Expect a thrilling adventure. You won't be disappointed!
This discussion has been closed.