Options

Keeping Passport, cash, ATM, CC secure?

My wife an I will be making our first overseas Tauck tour to England, Scotland and Wales. After reading items on the internet about securing passports, cash, ATM, and credit cards, I'm a little nervous!!

You read about money belts, vests with all kinds of pockets, leg belts, neck wallets yada yada yada!!!

I appreciate when one travels, one must be aware of their surroundings and be vigilant and not make themselves an easy target. Keep things to a minimum, take only what you need etc.

Looking for suggestions and/or experiences with how to enjoy the trip while keeping the above secure.

-Do I have to carry my passport all the time or can I lock it up in hotel room safe?

-Do money belts and or multi-pocket vests work?

-Where doI put ATM, Credit Cards, Cash on my person?

Any help here would be greatly appreciated!!!!

Looking forward to the England, Scotland, Wales Tour in late September!!

TravelDave

This is our first tour to Europe but have been on the Tauck California Gold Coast Tour. Tauck is great that's why were with them again!!!

Comments

• Options
    Most countries do not require that you carry your passport with you. What my wife and I do is carry a copy of the picture/information pages with us. We each have a copy of both our own and each others.

As far as securing credit cards, cash, etc., travel accessory companies such as TravelSmith (www.travelsmith.com) have pants and jackets with hidden zippered pockets.
  • Options
    Thanks rabo,

That is great info and Bec and I will follow up on travel accessories. Thanks again!!!!

Would love to hear from more folks.

Travel Dave
  • Options
    We have traveled overseas several times. I find the PacSafe fanny packs or backpacks are great. They have steel cables in the straps so they can not be cut off easily. The even have zipper locks. Have a great time....Tauck is a wonderful adventure.
  • Options
    We have travelled numerous times overseas. Here are a few things to add -

Carry copies of passports and leave the actual passports safe and secure in the hotel room safe.

Prior to your trip, make copies (front and back) of all credit cards you plan to bring with you. Make sure you have customer service phone numbers, as well, in case cards are lost/stolen. It's very important to notify the credit card companies that you will be travelling prior to your trip. Give them dates and places you will be visiting and when you will be departing and returning home.

Verify your ATM card codes ensuring those codes will work in the countries you plan to visit. Some countries require a 4-digit numerical code.

When out and about, carry as little currency and credit cards as possible. Leave the majority in your in-room safe. I, too, have a small travel purse with wire cables in the strap. That purse is always kept close to my chest. My husband used to carry the credit card and currency; however, I always felt some pickpocket was close at hand and was driving him crazy every minute asking him to check his pockets and be careful! I felt I was far more aware than he was and we decided I would carry currency and credit card in my travel purse. No more continual reminders to him!

I never, ever bring along my good jewelry. I have costume jewelry that I wear on trips. I limit wearing the jewelry when out and about, trying to keep a very low profile. Even costume jewelry can attract a potential thief, so I limit wearing it.

Hope these tips are helpful.

• Options
    I use my camera bag as a purse. I keep a wallet in it with cash, 1-2 credit cards, and 1 ATM card. In a money belt, I keep my passport, extra credit card, and extra ATM card. This has worked for me for the past 5 years.

I do make a copy of my passport and write down the customer service numbers for the credit & ATM cards that I take and keep them in a hidden pocket in my luggage.

Many people do leave their passport in the hotel safe, just make sure you don't forget to empty out the safe before you check out and leave something behind. Also, if you do, at least carry a copy of your passport with you - many times when buying souveniers (ones that qualify for VAT refunds), they ask to see it to fill out the VAT refund form.
This discussion has been closed.