trip cancelled 3 rd day

My wife and I went on this trip starting March 13 Cruisin Down Under
We departed March 10
before we left, we checked with Tauck and travel sites to determine if the trip was still on, if any locations or venues were closed or effected by travel restrictions
There were none at the time
Once in Melbourne, the tour preceded as planned, but on March 15, Tauck cancelled the trip in light that New Zealand instituted a 14 quarantine.
I could not reach Air New Zealand to determine if I could make a change to my April 2 scheduled flight, so I booked a separate flight just to get home.
Tauck said they will refund the unused portion of the trip. I do not know what the actual status is. Tauck is swamped with inquires right now.
Also I had made a separate hotel reservation to remain in Auckland after the tour. And hotels.com has cancelled my non-refundable reservation with a full refund. So that's good.
I have not been able to reach my flight agent, flighthub, to determine the status of my unused return flight. They say to contact them within 72 hours of scheduled flight time.
I will also file an insurance claim once I determine my costs and losses. I certainly wish that I had cancelled the tour before we left the USA, but hindsight is 20/20.
I am scheduled to go to Ireland in July. Not sure what the status is of this trip. Will wait and see as the time gets closer.

Comments

  • Jerrybcox...so sorry your trip was cancelled (not even mid-stream). Such a long way to travel just to turn right back around. Tauck was working with the best information available at the time. That really sucks!

  • Jerry - sorry you did not make your decision earlier. My wife and I and another couple from Maryland were scheduled to go on the same trip. I looked at all the info on March 8 and did not like what I was seeing. The four of us pulled the plug and we are glad we did. Submitted our insurance claims about two and a half weeks ago. Still being evaluated. After we decided not to go our one friend came down with acute bronchitis and was told by her doctor she could not travel anyway. Can you tell me how many people actually started the trip and how much trouble you all had getting home? I see from the guest List that your are from Jacksonville FL. Two of us are from Bel Bel Air MD and our friends are from Jarrettsville MD.

Sign In or Register to comment.