Options

Additional Expenses: Method of Payment

For additional expenses on board ship (MS Treasures): can one register and use a credit card or are Euros required for payment?

Comments

• Options
    On our trip on Treasures we paid our bill using a credit card.
  • Options
    Thanks. Did the ship have a store where one could purchase shaving cream and other men's toiletries OR were these items provided in the staterooms OR do you suggest I pack all these items to bring aboard the ship? Appreciate any insights.
  • Options
    Jim - Sorry it took a while to get back to you but I'm still having security certificate errors on this site and sometimes it's hard to sign on. As to the toiletries for sale in the Treasures gift shop I can honestly say I never saw any. They have a small range of gifts and clothing for sale but as I didn't need any I didn't ask about them. There are no specific men's toiletries in the cabins so I'd suggest you take your shaving cream etc with you.

Rod
  • Options
    On the trip I did ... Amsterdam to Bucharest on Swiss Jewel in 2010 ... I did notice a small select of toiletries ... basic things like deodorant, toothpaste, sunscreen, etc.. I can't say I noticed shaving cream specifically, though.

Cheers,

Jan
  • Options
    Thanks. Given the length of the trip and my (and wife's) tendency to overpack, I am hoping to minimize carrying many cans of shaving cream, etc. Can I assume that some of our port stops will provide opportunities for replenshing these items (Germany & Eastern Europe)? In addition to the length of the river cruise (Grand European), we are adding pre and post trips. I assume I will not have trouble purchasing these items in Amsterdam, but I am not certain about Bucharest. Although I realize that "shaving cream" does not constitute the center of challenges to my existence, I tend to shave twice a day (morning and prior to dinner) and feel uncomfortable when not clean shaven (should be my major problem in life?). We have traveled extensively, and I am still working at more efficient packing of my suitcase(s). Although I know (and have experienced) that river crusing allows for more casual dress, I still plan to bring a black blazer (which I will wear on the plane) and a light weight suit for the formal dinner at some palace plus the captain's reception. I will plan to use the laundry services extensively; however, I am still uncertain as to how many pair of trousers and how many long and short sleeve shirts to bring--given that dry cleaning services are not provided. "Wash and wear" I guess will be the "order of the day."

Jim
  • Options
    Ah, Jim! I'm not laughing at you ... I'm laughing with you! :) After all these years I can't pack light, either. I reckon I did so much better when I was an impoverished I-have-my-first-job traveller. Staying in cheap b&bs, dressing up was the last of your problems!

You can easily stock up in Amsterdam, as I'm sure you could do, too, along the way as far as Budapest. You would have to be opportune, because you may not be let loose with actual shopping time! I remember seeing lots of small "grocery" type shops on the walk back to the boat in Passau. As for Bucharest.... I'm not so sure. It's not that Bucharest isn't an amazing place...it certainly is. But it's just different. I'd suggest you make sure your stocks are safe before you leave Budapest. It's not that you won't have somewhere to put it in you cabin!

And yes, viva la wash & wear. Even I could never pack all the clothes I'd need for a 2 month trip away. Re-cycle or freeze! I'd be lost without my little washing kit.

Cheers,

Jan
  • Options
    Don't know when you are traveling but perhaps this will be useful. Our trips usually run around three weeks and I have found that a travel size aerosol can of Barbasol which is very small indeed, will last for the entire trip if you shave once a day.
This discussion has been closed.