Questions re: Europe over Christmas week?

Just curious if anyone has been to Germany/Austria over Christmas week? We've been over there many times for the Christmas Markets, but we are curious what it's like Christmas week? I've read that most of the markets close 12-23 and most restaurants are closed Xmas day? One of our closest friend's husband died and she wants to take her college kids Dec 2023, but because of their college schedule, they won't be able to go till 12/20/23 and they want us to go with them as they've never been. We would love to do a Tauck Danube Xmas Market River Cruise (we have been before), but the date that would work is 12/20/23 (unofficial, as official dates not released yet) - but most everything we've read say the Markets will be closed, which makes me think that the daily itineraries like Melk Abbey, Tours, Cathedrals, etc won't be open???? How do the River Cruises that happen over Xmas Week work? I can't imagine that the itinerary would be the same. I plan to call, but thought I'd ask here first. Do the river cruises change over Xmas week?

Comments

• The holiday markets are typically open through at least Dec, 23, but many, esp. in larger cities, continue into early January. You may want to check town-by-town, but I'm sure Tauck is well aware of the schedules. In my experience November and early December are a bit less hectic, but I see your window is fixed. I applaud your LT planning btw.

• terrilynn - If you have your heart set on the Danube cruise in late December, you may be out of luck. Both the 2021 and 2022 last departures are in mid December. I suspect that the 2023 dates will be similar. I see the Brussels/Amsterdam cruises have late December departures in 2021 and 2022. Again, perhaps the 2023 dates will be similar.

Regardless, I am so envious that you have done these holiday tours so many times. I have been in Scandinavia many times on my own and the larger cities are so festive around the holidays. And most of the upscale hotels offer scrumptious meals during the holidays. I suspect Tauck's riverboats offer special holiday meals as well.

Anyway, good luck with your final decision!

• kfnknfzk -- We just think Germany does Xmas Markets the best and that's really what they want to see -- Plus,Vienna, Salzburg, Nuremberg, Passau, Regensburg are amazing towns. We aren't opposed to the new Yuletide River cruise, but it isn't about the Xmas Markets other than Brussels. We have plenty of time to decide, but these cruises book SO FAR out, that we need to be looking now. Just seems most everything I've read says everything shuts down 12/25 and 12/26 -- so I'm curious how the cruise that leaves 12/20 works? I'll call next week.

• terrilynn - Please post again when you have your questions answered by Tauck. Good luck!

• A great alternative might be the Yuletide Spirit - Amsterdam to Brussels, as their markets are open until January. We have college kids and are taking them this year over Christmas. I'll let you know how it compares to the Danube Christmas market river cruise. (We did that one a few years ago) It was absolutely wonderful! I hope this one is just as exciting.

• edited July 2021

Mimitravels - YES- please PM me, or post here. We've done the Rhine & Danube Xmas Markets with Tauck and Uniworld. I'm not opposed to Yuletide at all, I just hope it's as GLORIOUS as Vienna, Salzburg, and Nuremberg. Those towns are so amazing and they really want to experience that. They just lost their dad and husband at 50 years old unexpectedly, so they deserve this and need to get away (even if it is 2.5 years away). Her kids will be 20 (son) and 22 (daughter) when we go - I just hope it doesn't seem too 'old' of a cruise/people/itinerary for them. And, Mimitravels, I'm sending you a PM.