Options

Yellow fever vaccination

I'm going to S Africa - Elegant Adventure - in September, 2012. Did anyone get the yellow fever vaccination? thanks. Leslie

Comments

• Options
    I'm going to S Africa - Elegant Adventure - in September, 2012. Did anyone get the yellow fever vaccination? thanks. Leslie
    My husband and I got ours a few weeks ago for our October, 2012 trip. Had a fairly large local reaction that is getting smaller daily. My husband had no reaction.
  • Options
    Yellow feaver vaccination is a must if you leave SA for Zimbabwe and back in SA. It is a custom requirement.
  • Options

We are going in October and we had our yellow feaver vaccination a month ago ( good for 10 years). Our travel clinic said that it is a custom requirement since we leave SA for Zimbabwe (Victoria Falls) and back in SA ( Jo'Burg). Carry your immunization record & your international certificate of vaccination or prophylaxis with you ( given at the travel clinic). We also had the polio vaccine since it seems polio is back in SA.
  • Options
    NAKNAK
    edited August 2012
    I read the CDC information re the yellow fever inoculation, along with receiving information from three hospital travel clinics in the Boston area. Still pretty confused, I made the appointment at one of the hospital travel clinics. I ended up with two (2) vaccines - typhoid (injectable) and Tdap. I received a prescription for Cipro and malaria (the 'better more expensive' brand.
    I was told that the yellow fever vaccine was not necessary because I was not going into South Africa from a country
    exposed to yellow fever....the same with Zimbabwe. Both the travel clinic and the CDC had the same information.
    The hospital gave me a letter to the "exemption".
    Also, I was told that because of my age there would be more of a risk taking the vaccine. (I heard this from three sources.)
    I already had Hepatitis A vaccine.
    I did ask about polio booster and, again, I was told it was not necessary.
    I hope I did make all the correct decisions. I would appreciate hearing from the other travelers. Thanks!
    I will be on South Africa Elegant Adventure September 24th, 2012.
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    We are going on the Sept. 10 SA Elegant Adventure, and I was told last August that we didn't need the Yellow Fever shot. We couldn't make that trip, but we rescheduled this year and you can be sure I'm going to check this out with Passport Travel Consultants tomorrow! I'll get back later.
    The travel consultants verified that we would not need the Yellow Fever Vaccination as we were not traveling through or into an area that is in the CDC list of risk for yellow fever.
  • Options
    We also did the Elegant Safari a few years ago, and had our vaccinations up to date. The Yellow Fever requirement was only if you came from a country that had Yellow Fever. We had no problems or issues going into South Africa, and then into Zimbabwe to visit Victoria Falls and then back into South Africa.
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    MY INTERNIST CAME BACK FROM SOUTH AFRICA AND ZIMBABWEE AND SAID U NEED TO GET YELLOW FEVER TO GET BACK AND FORTH FROM ZIMBABWEE TO SOUTH AFRICA. I GOT MY SHOTS FROM INFECTIOUS DISEASE DOCTOR WHO ALSO SAID THERE IS AN OUT BREAK OF POLIO IN SOUTH AFRICA AND GOT MY POLIO BOOOSTER- ALSO- DON'T DRINK WATER OR ICE-ENJOY YOUR TRIP NAOMI BETH
  • Options
    Hi -We are going "An Elegant Adventure" on August 20th. We got the Hep "A" and DTAP immunizations. We were reassured by Tauck and the CDC that we did not require Yellow Fever. I checked with the CDC online also. We are adding a couple of days on the front end in Capetown and look forward to meeting everyone with our group!!!

Estelle
  • Options
    FYI - I telephoned the South African Embassy and the Zimbabwe Embassy (both in Washington, D.C). I was told by both that the Yellow Fever vaccine is not necessary if you are coming from a country that is not listed as "high risk". The U.S., South Africa and Zimbabe are not "high risk". Also, as noted, age is important.
    If you are over 60, there us a bigger risk of taking the vaccine. Therefore, I am packing my travel clinic physican's letter of exemption and looking forward to September 24th.
  • Options
    True if you are going into Zimbabwe - the tour itself does not. If you are over 65, check with your doctor; he will probably tell you not because of the possibility of a reaction which is far worse than the disease.
  • Options
    For anyone worried about whether a yellow fever vaccination is required, here is a link to the CDC website that answers that question definitely . It depends on whether you're travelling from a country that has yellow fever. The website has a list of all countries in Africa with yellow fevor risk potential. South Africa and Zimbabwe are not on the list.

http://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/yellowbook/2012/chapter-3-infectious-diseases-related-to-travel/yellow-fever.htm#1948
  • Options
    There is a lot of confusion on this but you need the Yellow Fever shots if you are going - they are required if you are going to Vic Falls as part of the trip. My husband is over 60 and he had no reaction to the Yellow Fever shot at all. I'm 55 and I had a little sight reaction - some redness and itchy that lasted about a week. So there you go ... he did better than I did! We had Hep A & B shots, Tdap as well. Might as well be covered. We have the malaria pills to take and we have backup antibiotic as well. Better safe than sorry is my motto. Enjoy your trips everyone!
This discussion has been closed.