Options

Thoughts about flight options?

I'm starting to look at flights for my Egypt trip in Nov 2022.

One option is Lufthansa from DEN to FRA, then a one hour layover at FRA, and Lufthansa from FRA to CAI. I'm looking at Biz class, and of course, the LH flight is their Intra-Europe fake biz class (A321neo) - sit in an economy seat. but leave the middle seat empty and call it Business. Total time 14h30m.

Another option is again LH to FRA, a 6 hour layover at FRA, then EgyptAir to CAI in a 787 with true biz class seats. Total time 19h20m.

Price is about the same for both. I'm thinking option 2 is better for a few reasons:
1. A 1 hour layover at FRA is pushing it.
2. The true biz class seat on the second flight (4 hours) is preferable, despite the overall time being 5 hours longer. And yes, I'm aware EgyptAir is a dry airline.

The first flight arrives CAI at 2:20 PM and the second one at 7:30 PM. Sunset in Cairo is about 5 PM on the arrival date, so even with the earlier arriving flight, by the time I get to the hotel, check in, etc., the day is pretty much shot, as I wouldn't wander Cairo on my own after dark.

Which option would you choose?

Comments

• Options
    edited December 2021

Have you looked at foreign carriers like:

Turkish Airlines (we are flying with them in true business seats (even A321): ATL - IST - AMM (787-9 - A330-300) CAI - IST - JFK (A321neo - 787-9). I'm using miles to get from/to gateway cities from RDU.

Emirates Air (mil flew with them for J&E- EK230, SEA to DXB w/connection to AMM)

or Qatar Air (mil investigated them as well)?

According to a quick look using Google flights, prices have sure have gone up and/or they are much higher from Denver!!

• Options

I last checked the flights yesterday and RT was in the $2900 range for biz which I don't consider expensive. I'm used to paying ~3-4K for European flights.

The problem with the carriers you mention, Alan, is they will require a second stop. I try to find flights with one or less stops, resulting in minimizing travel time,.and am almost always able to do so.

I noted one other potential good flight option - Air Canada, one stop via Montreal, but the flight is only 3 days/week, and isn't flying on the day I plan to arrive.

• Options

That is a good price. It is about what I paid for our ATL - IST - AMM + CAI - IST - JFK business class tickets on Turkish. No stops in Europe and no Euro business. In one direction we have quite a long layover in Istanbul, but the new airport and Turkish bus lounge are supposed to be fantastic.

Our flight arrives in Amman at 11:00 pm like many flightgs into Amman and Cairo. We depart Cairo at 2:45 am, Ugh!

• Options

BKMD, I would never rely on a one hour layover! Bring a good book and enjoy the lounge at FRA. That said, I had a very good experience flying Air Canada to Beijing and wouldn't hesitate to fly them again. Would you consider going a day earlier and booking a hotel night on your own to fit their schedule?

• Options

I don't know anything about them, but have you looked into Royal Jordanian? They have a 2-stoppers DEN - ORD - AMM - CAI and CAI - AMM - ORD - DEN. for about $2100- Ooops! Their website prices each direction separately, so r/t was over $4K! Never mind. :D

• Options

MCD - Yeah, that's my feeling, too, about the 1 hour layover. That's a thought, arriving an extra day early... I'm already arriving a day early via Gift of Time. Could do an additional day. Was it you (or mil, maybe?) who did a private tour to Alexandria?

I flew Air Canada to TLV (via Toronto) for the I/J tour in 2019 and no complaints about the flights.

• Options

mil did a private tour in Amman at the start of J&E, but nothing on the tail end, however, a group of 4 (?) on her tour did a (multi-day?) post tour excursion to Alexandria. I don't know if they returned to Cairo before flying home.

I am doing a private tour in Cairo at the tail end of J&E in March. Due to the arrival time of our flight into Amman, we needed to book a pre-stay so are using the GOT there (more expensive). We are taking an extra day in Cairo. As I said above, our flight leaves after midnight, but on the day after the normal fly-home day, We'll probably be taken to the airport sometime between 11:00 pm - 12:00 am so essentially we have a full day for a private tour which I'm working on now. It doesn't look like Tauck is arranging for day rooms, so we booked another night at the Mena house, because even though we won't be staying overnight, we'll have a place to leave our bags, rest, and freshen up before heading to the airport.

• Options
    edited December 2021

BKMD - I booked a Qatar Air roundtrip business class to/from Seattle for our October, 2022 Egypt tour. Decent price, $3300. It wasn't the cheapest possible, but it has no European business class legs and only one airline to worry about. It has a 3:35 layover in Doha on the way and a 2:40 layover in Doha on the way home. Total time is 21h going and 19:50h on the return. We are spending a few days with family in Seattle before and after the tour so that eliminates the two reservation stress. If still required then, we will get tested in Seattle prior to our departure. We got tested there prior to our Iceland tour last July.

• Options

BKMD - we flew LH from Chicago to Frankfurt and then Cairo on our October trip. I think a one hour layover in FRA is unworkable. We spent quite a bit of time in the business lounge, and it was comfortable and easy to find a distant corner.
    While a day trip to Alexandria is probably doable, it would be a long day, particularly at the start of your trip. The 4 people on our tour who went to Alexandria did so at the conclusion of the tour, and were staying there a couple of nights.

• Options

BKMD -- Yes, I'm the one who did the private tour to Alexandria. Highly recommend it. It's very different from the other sights you will see in Egypt.

• Options

BKMD,

I agree with MCD that a one hour layover is really pushing it, especially when you have to maneuver your way from one gate to another. Good luck with whatever decision you ultimately make.

• Options

BKMD--I'll add a voice to the choir. A one hour layover is too risky, especially in these times. If possible, check pout Qatar. Yes, there is one additional stop but it was totally worth it - In my opinion. The seats, service and lounges are great and all flights were on time. My route was MSY-DFW-DOHA-AMM and return CAI-DOHA-DFW-MSY. The aircraft was the A350-1000 on the long flight in the Q-Suite and the 787-9 on the shorter flight. No Q-Suite but still lay-flat bed. The Q-Suite is fabulous - It will be hard to fly anything other than the A350-1000 on long-haul flights.

As far as rooms at the Mena House - Tauck did not arrange any day rooms but...you may have some wiggle room with a late check out if you have status with Marriott. I am Elite Platinum and I was offered an upgrade to a suite; however I declined because only Garden views were available. I was given access to the Lounge and had 2 bottles of wine brought up to my room. Also, another couple, who didn't have status, was offered a 7PM check-out for $50 as they had a reservation for a Christmas dinner at one of the restaurants. It never hurts to ask.

• Options
    edited December 2021

PureLuxury. I guess you can see why I’m a fan of Qatar now, glad you enjoyed it!

• Options

thanks for the additional comments.

Despite the praise for Qatar Air, I would likely not use them due to their role in the financing of 9/11. PureLuxury, unless I'm mixing you up with someone else from a post a few months back, you travelled with a friend who had similar feelings. We can leave it at that.

I'm waiting until after Jan 1 to do any airline booking to get the 2022 travel credit for my Chase Sapphire Reserve early on. And I won't be booking that LH flight with the one hour layover in FRA. I'm now considering an additional day in Cairo at the start, in addition to the GOT day, to visit Alexandria, and to possibly fly the Air Canada flight that goes nonstop from Montreal to Cairo.