Royal Danube July 31/22 tour

This will be my 2nd Tauck trip.

I’m anxiously watching the situation over there and hope that it will have changed to the better in the next 4 1/2 months. Go Ukraine !!!

The tour starts on 31/7 but I’ll fly to Berlin 3 days earlier to do some of my own sightseeing. I left there as a kid in 1956 and want to refresh some memories. Also it’s harder on your system going east so I expect my first day to be pretty much a lost day.

I remember on my riverboat cruise from Budapest that I was a Zombie on the 1st day.

There is a great App to use, “Yelp” lets you search for restaurants and much more worldwide.

Any other solo travellers on this tour?

Rudy

Comments

• Hi, Rudy. I'm a solo scheduled to be on this tour. I've booked 2 extra days in Krakow and 3 in Warsaw at the end of the tour. If that's too much of a burden on Poland at that time, I'll probably reschedule, because Krakow/Auschwitz was my motivation for this tour. If all goes as planned, I'll be arriving in Berlin on July 30. I've been looking at tours on Viator for things to do before the Tauck tour starts.

• Hi MCD
    I assume you’re coming from North America. For the easiest way to see anything in the one day you’ll have would be the Hop on hop off bus. Not too strenuous after a long flight and gives you a good insight to a city.(anywhere!!)
    That would be my suggestion.
    Rudy

• The hop-on-hop-off buses are, indeed, a great way to introduce oneself to a city. We always purchase tickets for the longest route and stay on the bus until the completion. We then decide where we wish to get off and take the route again, hopping on and off as we please. Yes, it is touristy. We have also learned that not all bus companies are the same. The hotel concierge or information booth (if there is one at the depot) can assist with buses, routes and maps.

• For MCD
    There are 2 HoHo bus lines. One is 24 Euros a yellow/green bus and the other 27 Euros a red bus.
    Type HoHo bus Berlin in Google for info.

• Thanks, RGM2.

• Since I’ll have 3 days before the tour starts and just as in other trips I’ve taken, I’m busy searching YELP for authentic restaurants in Berlin and Krakow. I live in a very cosmopolitan city of 3 million people so almost any cuisine is available. I have no interest in Berlin or Krakow for Chinese, Italian, Greek or any other cuisine. I want German food in Berlin and Polish food in Krakow.
    So one l intend to try in Berlin is a restaurant in the 1920-1930 style.
    “Restaurant zur Nolle” about a 10 minute walk from the hotel. This restaurant may need a reservation.

In Krakow I want to try “ Kuchnia Polska Gaska”, Gaska means goose their specialty. About a 27 minute walk from the hotel.

I’m saving several interesting restaurant links for both cities.

• In Krakow, we ate several times at the local “milk pail” restaurant. This is not the name of it but is part of the old Communist way of life. The milk pail restaurants were cheap. And it is cheap! And very good! It is not fancy at all but the food is local and authentic. Trust me! I am Polish and was raised by a polish mother and have polish grandparents and the food at the milk pail restaurant is exactly what I grew up with. Not fancy at all - Formica tables and chairs and all that, but great home made food…

• I haven't been to either city in years, but I always enjoy strolling through the local food markets for authentic, locally sourced bites to eat. Do a Google search, ask the locals and the hotel concierge for suggestions. Enjoy!

• Thank you for the tip alidor30. But looking for milk pail I’m redirected to Milk Bars which seem to fit your description. Found one (Milkbar Tomasza) about 1km from the hotel and will definitely go yhere, has good reviews.

• I believe you will stay at the Sheraton and that is where we stayed on our Tauck tour. I’m pretty sure the one you found is the one we went to. It was pretty close to the hotel. Now that I told you about it, I found myself thinking about it all day!!

• alidor30, I have enough restaurants and attractions saved/collected for both Berlin and Krakow I will have a hard time to see or eat at most of them! :)
    Restaurants in both cities are strictly local type cuisine. Borscht and more borscht I want :p

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file