Options

Bringing euros

Is it necessary to convert dollars to euros for travel in France and if so, how much is recommended?

Comments

• Options

I always carry Euros and dollars … a couple hundred of each. I have had more than one experience when the credit care, or the credit card machine, did not work. I rarely spend cash in the U.S., but expecting to do Apple pay or credit cards while traveling is not always certain. We normally hit the ATM at the airport upon arrival. We get a stack of new and unblemished dollars before leaving teh U.S. … relatively new.

• Options

You don't have to convert here before you go. Your best exchange rate is at a TRUE ATM machine in Europe -- Not the Money Exchange Kiosks you will see, but actual bank ATMs. We get money out as soon as we land at the airport over there and then take more out as needed. We do notify our bank that we will be using our card in Europe. The Rick Steves website has a great Travel Tips section that talks about money, how to withdraw it, how to avoid fees, etc - his website has LOTS of great travel tips and also a great forum for travel & destination questions. There are many local coffee shops, restaurants, etc that only take cash.

• Options

So, take the word convert out of your currency vocabulary. The last place you want to go is that little place in the airport with all the red numbers telling you how much Euros and every other currency costs. Avoid unless you like losing money. I always land with some foreign currency in my pocket. Since we travel to Europe frequently we always have some leftover Euros. If I did not I’d get 100 or so at my local bank. The rate is terrible but for that amount of money not lethal. If, and that’s a big if, I need more I withdraw at a bank ATM, preferably inside that bank, or outside but during normal banking hours in case the machine eats my card. I don’t do this in the airport. I’m old. On a good day I fire on most cylinders. When I arrive I’m jet lagged, sleep deprived and the last thing I want is to find an ATM that won’t rip me off, while trying to keep an eye on my carry on. If you withdraw money from an ATM or use a credit card beware of dynamic currency conversion. The machine will ask you whether you want to charge in dollars or Euros. Always choose Euros or you will be getting a really bad exchange rate plus fees you can’t see. Having said all that, on our recent trip to Spain we used almost no cash. Even the little mom and pop places accepted credit cards with most accepting Apple Pay. So I used my cell phone for most transactions. This was a notable change since our last trip pre-pandemic but I think the trend towards non-cash transactions is building steam.

• Options
    edited July 2023

We usually have left over Euros from a prior visit to countries in the EU. We take what we have for incidentals that we may need upon arrival. Then during the trip get more cash if needed from a bank ATM. Then any leftover we bring home for the next visit.

• Options
    edited July 2023

@cathyandsteve : You’ve mentioned this tipping in USD when abroad in prior posts but it appears those have been deleted. You mentioned, if I recall, that you routinely tipped 20%. So, two issues, tipping and use of USD. Tipping culture is different in Europe and differs slightly from country to country. But serving in a restaurant is a profession. Those folks are well paid. Small gratuities are appreciated but not expected. USD will not be turned away, it’s money after all. But they have to exchange that, they can’t readily use it. I think what you do, using USD abroad, is distinctly unusual. Morocco is a different story. Many people are paid very poorly. There is a black market for USD. So, tip away there, but know they still most likely have to offload those dollars in order to have spendable currency. Here is what I posted in response to your prior now deleted post:

Tipping: it’s a tough topic, so I’ll preface my comments with this: it’s your money, spend it as you wish. But tipping is different in Europe. Here we tip generously because service people are paid so poorly they depend on it. In most European countries servers are professional and well paid. Often the service charge is itemized on the bill, but even if you don’t see it it’s in there. For extraordinary service, or an unexpected treat, like that comped dessert we’ll leave a few Euro’s (or whatever local currency). But, to leave a 20% tip when a service charge is included? The staff is probably still telling this story. Here is an old but good article from AAA on tipping : https://mwg.aaa.com/via/travel-tips/how-much-should-you-tip-around-world. Not to beat a dead horse, but tip in local currency, unless you are in a place like Argentina where the currency is on a race to the bottom and dollars are more than welcome. No, your dollars will not be turned away. But that server cannot spend them for a beer on the way home. She will have to go to a bank (when it’s open as ATM’s will not accept foreign currency deposits) and deposit them, so it is a chore. However I was told by a barista in London several years ago that it was a status symbol to snort cocaine with a US dollar, so there you go.

• Options

I always tip in dollars unless in a Euro country and I have encountered a supply of one and two Euro coins, which seem to be very rare. I watch the eyes when I give them dollars. The eyes don’t lie. I’ve never not seen a smile when I give them some dollars. (Double negative … you figure it out. (;-). )

• Options

Thank you, You have confirmed my previous impressions. .

• Options
    edited July 2023

I do agree, that certainty from my experiences before I lived in the US, the impression is that Americans are very wealthy people who happily give an added 20% wherever they go. The women wear massive diamonds on their fingers, things like that, so of course it strengthens the impression.
    If you tip, certainly in England, and you want to leave cash, don’t leave it on the table, be sure to hand it to the server, because if you don’t, it is likely to be grabbed by any random person passing by.
    I live in the US, so I tip 20% but I sometimes admit I feel like a fool doing it. Example, I just spent time in NY at a fancy hotel. The breakfast was buffet style. The server brought coffee and juice, The meager choice continental buffet was $25, so that meant at least a $10 tip. You know, I could earn more money here in the US being a breakfast waiter in a busy hotel than I could in a college required profession like a junior doctor in England! It is truly a bizarre situation.
    Folsomdoc has made some very good points. My only other comments that I have made before, but I don’t generally delete my comments, is that it is much much easier to exchange dollars in other countries than it is to change foreign money here in the US, so not so much of a pain to receive dollars. Anyway, certainly in England, the server’s next vacation is probably to the US.

• Options

On our recent Tauck Scottish Isles cruise we did a few days stopover in London on our way home. We were on our own as far as paying for everything. Almost all the restaurants we went to have gone to a cashless payment policy. The restaurants would add an automatic gratuity which was normally 12% to 15% or so. We would pay with a credit card by either tap to pay or insert in a chip reader. There was no option for adding any additional gratuity. In a walk through Hyde Park one afternoon we got some ice cream from one of the kiosks and even that was card only.

I think the tipping culture in the US has gotten out of hand. Many places here are starting to add a gratuity to the bill and still asking for more. :s

• Options

I'm not even sure there's anywhere local for us to get euros before a trip. The one credit union we use that used to do it at great cost doesn't provide the service anymore. We do take dollars and put aside the amounts needed for TD and coach driver ahead though depending on circumstances may use local currency in the end. For other cash tips we'd only use dollars if we had not found an ATM which so far has never happened in Europe. They are easily found.

Kind of makes me wonder what would happen if someone from outside the US tried to pay or tip with foreign cash at any business here.

• Options

The one time we went to Cuba with Tauck, I just happen to have plenty of Euros and the exchange rate was so much better converting Euros to Cuban currency than U.S. dollars to Cuban currency. I think this was also mentioned in one of the Rick Steve’s articles.

• Options
    edited July 2023

Yes Claudia, you are correct, it would be a Problem, but in most other countries it is easier to change money. Anyone want to give me some foreign money, I’ll take it, might come in useful someday. I’ve been asked to give a tip at the grocery store recently, it’s just endless.

• Options

Yes, The French will easily be able to change Dollars into Euros from rich Americans.

• Options

Hello Allan. Has your question been answered?? Just get 200 Euros and from then on u will be fine by using your credit card. Get the EUROS at an ATM at a bank. Enjoy your trip.

• Options

British
    I’ve been asked to give a tip at the grocery store recently, it’s just endless.

If you use self-checkout at the grocery store, the the store tip you? :)

• Options

I always get money from the ATM at the airport, first stop, you can always ask the Tauck pickup person, to stop at any ATM and help you or wait and get it done at the hotel.
    Make sure to let banks know your travel itinerary and the possible use of ATM machines.

• Options

I always use the ATM at the airport after landing, it's really the best thing to do.

• Options

I used an ATM at the airport in Lisbon and the fees were the worst. Might as well have headed to the money exchange booth. That'll teach me to get in a hurry. Should have waited to find a bank ATM.

• Options

Sometimes it’s just a convenience thing.

• Options
    edited July 2023

Bank associated ATM’s have the lowest fees and best exchange rates. Independent ATM’s such as Travelex, Euronet, Moneybox, Your Cash, Cardpoint, and Cashzone have high to very high fees and worse exchange rates. Euronet ATM’s are all over and strategically located so they are the first thing you see in the airport. You’ll even run across them in cities right next to bank ATM’s. The OP was asking about France so this is not pertinent. But there is a consortium of banks in Portugal called Multibanco, all with low fees, favorable exchange rates. The participating ATM’s have the banks name and also Multibanco displayed prominently.

• Options

Use an ATM at a local bank where your tour starts! Stay away from the airport ATM'S . U will not need more than 200 Euros and do not tip at restaurants, etc.