Options

Room Category for Single

We would like to take our first ever river cruise with our daughter (mid 20’s) and would like her to have her own room. I have a question regarding availability and pricing for 1 person in a cabin either level 2 or level 6. The offices are currently closed (Sunday) and when I try to select 1 person traveling it says not available but the same rooms are available for 2 people. First time river cruise or any cruise for that matter and a little curious how this works? My husband and I would prefer to have our own room and not have her sleep on a pull out couch in the suite level. Thanks for any help!

Comments

• Options
    edited April 7

Hello, it may be that all the single rooms are sold. Is this for a cruise in the near future? If so, that is the likely answer.
    Suggest you call Tauck and have alternative dates ready. Many people book about 18 months in advance for the popular tours. You might also try being added to a waiting list as people do cancel.

• Options

They mentioned pulling a single out? What does that mean?

• Options

There is no ‘single supplement’ on Category 1 rooms. For all other rooms, you pay approximately double … that is two fares. The Cat 1 rooms often sell out quickly. You need to call Tauck, but you cannot get a Cat 2 or Cat 6 for one fare.

• Options

I prefer a Category 1 room when traveling with a friend. There is enough space for one and my friend could choose which Category is best for her. I always book the same cabin and ask for a bath mat as the bathroom floor can be the same temperature of the river. Your daughter would be very comfortable in any Category 1 room. Tauck river cruises are the best.

• Options

Category 1 rooms are the best values for singles - there is no single supplement. Nonetheless, all categories of rooms have certain number of rooms reserved for singles with approximately 75% cost of the room for 2 guests.

These designated ‘single’ occupancy rooms get reserved fast. Often times, there is availability for double occupancy - but Tauck does not allow ‘single occupancy’ when all of the allocated ‘single occupancy’ category have been reserved.

I have been in this situation - after this happened to me the first time (I had to switch my preferred travel date), I reserve as soon as possible or switch dates. I highly recommend that you call Tauck tomorrow and explain the situation. Sometimes the bookings on line are not always to date. Good luck!

• Options

Maresc, I'm having a little trouble understanding your questions. It would help if I knew the cruise and date(s) you're interested in. Also do you mean cabin category 2 or 6?

• Options

Call Tauck. We are going on a land tour in September with another couple. A single friend decided to join us and could not book online because all of the singles were sold out. She called Tauck and they opened a reservation for her. I do not know how it would work with cruises.

• Options

The single supplement is 40% above the double price for a river cruise. They only have a certain number of rooms for singles, like Nancy said the best price for singles is Category 1 which has no single supplement. Land tours is the same as far as space, depending of the land tour sometimes they only have openings for 3 singles.

• Options

Aren’t some of the rooms adjoining? The sliding door between rooms can always be kept closed and locked We have had adjoining rooms in the past ehen traveling with one young adult. The bed in the adjoining section is a sofa bed which gets pulled out daily. There weren’t any complaints.

• Options

The pullout the OP referenced is the sofa in the Category 7 suites. I've read vague references to connecting door cabins on Tauck river cruise but never seen them in person or on any of the ship deck plans.

• Options

Is Smiling Sam around? I know he travels with his wife and adult niece and have had some sort of double cabin on the river cruises. I’ve only been on one river cruise so not familiar with all the types of cabin

• Options

We’ve traveled with our daughter and have had adjoining cabins; they were definitely not category 7.

• Options

British - We've only had the double cabin on Small Ship Cruises, not river cruises.

• Options

OurTravels, which ship did you have connecting cabins on?

• Options

Ok. I might have been confusing the small ship cruises with the riverboats. My apologies. If I have time, I’ll check.

• Options
    edited April 8

Maresc Do you have any success from Tauck?

• Options

The Longing ships Tauck uses on some small ship cruises do have some cabins with connecting doors. You can see them on the deck plans.

• Options

Thanks for your replies everyone. We secured a cabin (Category 2) for our daughter and we kept our Category 7 suite for myself and husband. They aren’t connecting rooms but she is at the age where this is no longer needed. This will be our first ever cruise-river or otherwise - (probably not our last) and so excited Tauck was able to help us out. She’s at that age where having her own room is a must for everyone’s sanity. She also has a bad back so pull out sofas and rollaways are a no go! Curious is it would be worth the extra $$ to move her to a Category 6 level as the current reservation has her in a room by the Engine. Cat. 6 would also be a larger room at 225 sq ft vs 150. Can anyone comment on the noise in this particular room on the Joy? Thanks for any help or comments.

• Options

In my view engine noise is not an issue on a river boat. You will be going through numerous locks duriing the night, and that is noisy. Other than the Cat 7, the best room on the MS Joy is the Cat 3 loft stateroom … also 225 sq. ft.

• Options

You get a certain amount of noise if the ship is underway no matter where. Not only engines but bow/stern thrusters and bumps when the ship goes in/out of locks. Depending on the cruise you have a fair amount of overnight sailing. Those 150 sqft cabins are plenty big enough for one - its almost identical to what my husband and I shared our first cruise. Its very close to Arthur's bistro for coffee, snacks, etc and the stairs to go up to your cabin. On the other hand its the furthest from everything else so a lot of walking. Is it worth? It's your money. Is there something you'd rather do with the money?

• Options
    edited April 9

@BKMD - You can usually delete everything after and including the ? in a URL and it will still take you to the same place. The stuff after (and including) the ? is mostly tracking data to tell the website where you came from, or what you searched for.

I clicked on your link and then deleted everything after, and including, the ?. Then I deleted the ref=sr_1_4 in front of the ? and it still went to the same place.

This link will get you to the same place - https://www.amazon.com/Macks-Original-Soft-Foam-Earplugs/dp/B005XJ4FX6/

While you have the page up, start deleting parts of the URL and then click "enter" to see if it still takes you to the same page. If you go too far, just click the back arrow and it will return you to the URL you had before the failure.

• Options

Good to know, Mike. Thanks.

• Options

Mike, BKMD was going for the record for the longest URL ever posted to the Tauck Forum. I think he got the record. 😂

• Options

Thanks for the recommendation BKMD.