Options

April 3, 2017 Grand Australia and New Zealand

Is anyone on the April 3 trip arriving early in Melbourne? I am arriving early in the morning on April 1; I scheduled a day trip to Phillips Island on April 2. If anyone is interested in meeting early let me know - the Melbourne Food and Wine Festival (that might not be the correct name) is going on from late March through April 9 - might be a fun thing to check out if anyone is interested.

Comments

• Options
    We are traveling to Australia and New Zealand in February. We are arriving Melbourne a day early too. I am interested in your tour to Philip Island and am hoping you will share tour information with me. Thank you.
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    If you go online you will find a number of different groups who do this tour. I just picked one that looked good to me - a group called Viator. They will pick up and drop off at the hotel and it includes a stop to see Koalas and feed kangaroos and then continues to Phillip Island to see the Penguin March. It sounded interesting to me and like something you could enjoy even if you were jet lagged. Mine starts at 12:15 and the penguins come on shore at "dusk" - which will vary depending on the season and then you are brought back to the hotel afterwards. There are other ones that stop at shopping areas and other places that might interest you more - you just need to go look at what they offer. It was really easy to get a ticket and reservation on line.
  • Options
    There is another thread on Phillip Island tours under the main Australia group where more people were discussing this same kind of tour that may give you more information.
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    Hi Jane,

We're on the same 4/3 tour and arrival schedule. Thanks for the info on Viatour. We'll sign up for the 4/2 animal park and Phillips Is tour leaving the hotel at 12:15.

Dan and Susan
  • Options
    JaneP wrote:
    If you go online you will find a number of different groups who do this tour. I just picked one that looked good to me - a group called Viator. They will pick up and drop off at the hotel and it includes a stop to see Koalas and feed kangaroos and then continues to Phillip Island to see the Penguin March. It sounded interesting to me and like something you could enjoy even if you were jet lagged. Mine starts at 12:15 and the penguins come on shore at "dusk" - which will vary depending on the season and then you are brought back to the hotel afterwards. There are other ones that stop at shopping areas and other places that might interest you more - you just need to go look at what they offer. It was really easy to get a ticket and reservation on line.

We did this trip a few years ago and it was great. We also booked the "little Penguins" tour through Viatour. You will enjoy it even if jet laggged because the ride to Phillips Island is a few hours....a good time to catch up on sleep. We dd book the VIP excursion and although it is a little more expensive we thought it well worth it. The difference is: 1. You are in a small group 2. You are able to stay INSIDE a viewing area equipped with comfortable seats and binoculars 3. Since you are going in late fall, the weather at dusk may be cold....if you are not on the VIP tour, bring blankets from your hotel 4. This tour includes wines and coldcuts in the ranger station and a small talk about the penguins. In any case, both the penguins and the entire Tauck experiences were both great.

We opted for 2 separate tours, first , "spotlight on Australia" and just lat year, "Spotlight on New Zealand" Have fun!
  • Options
    Yes - I booked the "Ultimate Penguin Tour" which offered a smaller group on a more isolated piece of the beach where they come ashore. I am excited to see all of it!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file