Options

Laundry, water and luggage

My wife and I along with another couple are going on the South Africa: An Elegant Adventure in March. We would appreciate information from anyone who has been on this tour on the following topics:
• Laundry services- do the hotels offer reasonable and reliable laundry services?
• Water- is the water in South Africa OK to drink or do you have to drink bottled water?
• Carry-on luggage- would a wheeled bag 9”x17”x17” be acceptable?

Comments

• Options
    I just came back from this trip and it was awesome. You can safely drink water and eat all foods. Do not bring water, Tauck provides it. Laundry is available at all the hotels, but it makes the most sense to have it done at Sabi Sabi. I don't know the cost, but it is midway through the trip and a good time to have the laundry done. Baggage is an issue worth thinking about in advance. The international flights allow 50 pounds, but the domestic flights within South Africa only allow 44 lbs. So, in order not to have to go on multiple lines and pay for excess baggage, you should make sure that your baggage weighs less than 44 pounds. Also, keep in mind that things/rules change in Africa by the minute. We were allowed to roll our 21 inch carry on bag to the flight which was then stored in the cargo when we went to Zimbabwe. On the way back, we had to send it as storage from the check-in gate and we had no locks for it. So, if you take a roll on bag, make sure you have an extra lock that you can add to the bag at the last moment if you have to store it in cargo. Baggage theft is high in Africa. The easiest way to travel is to have one large cargo bag, with locks, that weighs less than 44 pounds and one small carry-on without wheels that will hang off your shoulder for meds and important items. The dress is casual on this trip and given the dusty conditions I wore the same "safari outfit" each of the four days which minimized the amount of clothing I needed to pack with me. Be sure to pack sun-screen. You don't need much bug spray Sabi Sabi, tinge and Victoria Falls Hotel provide it. Bring binoculars! I hope this helps. Bring a rain coat, but don't use it on the safaris. On the safaris use the ponchos provided. There are safes in all rooms. I hope this helps.
  • Options
    Thank you very much for a very informative reply. You provided a lot of helpful information.
  • Options
    Hi JRF - we are also going on this trip, arriving Capetown at night the 18th. Several other couples also contacted us, doing the same. We hope to take a day tour the 19th. Look forward to meeting you. We can be contacted on my cellphone - 917-520-0770. Bob and Judy. Manhattan, NY
  • Options
    When you go to South Africa make sure that you bring copies of your passport. Ours were collected at the Zimbabwe airport to expedite customs regulations. This saved us lots of time at the airport, but made us very uncomfortable. The passports were returned to our tour guide within a few hours with no harm done. However, having copies made the situation less anxiety provoking.

Also, you will see the same souvenirs all over South Africa. Rather than buy them along the way, unless you are at the Arts and Crafts Center, where the proceeds go to a worthy cause, buy your souvenirs at the duty free shops in Johannesburg before you leave the country. Most people have a few hours to shop and South Africa has conveniently place many many many shops in the airport for your shopping pleasure.

If you do buy souvenirs you can get some portion of your vat tax back at the last airport before you leave the country. You have to have your items and receipts ready for inspection. There are little desks in the check-in area for this. If no one is there, just stand there and wait, someone will show up. That person will give you paperwork to hand in to the refund desk on the other side of security. Keep the items with you. The first refund desk is right next to the duty free shop on your left after security. This one is crowded because it is the first. If you keep walking, you will come across another which is less crowded. You hand in your paperwork and then are offered a refund. You may have to show the item again so keep it with you. You do not have to reach a certain limit on any one item. All the vat taxes are added up for you from your receipts. **Here is the important part. Make sure you get an itemized receipt from the vendor. You can only get the tax back if you have an itemized receipt. The visa/debit receipt will not work.

IMPORTANT: South Africa is known for copying credit/debit cards. You should never never never let your card out of your sight. Even in what appears to be a first class establishment. If the merchant says that he has to take your card to the back to swipe it, do not allow it. There are portable swipe machines. A honorable merchant will swipe your card and then set it down on the counter in front of you. Do not let them hold it in their hand as there are tiny copy machines that can take your information from your card. The best thing to do is exchange money in the atm machines and then pay with cash. In Cape Town there is an atm in the basement of the hotel and in Clicks at the mall. In Zimbabwe, you use american cash so have some with you.

Be sure to take advantage of Brighten when you are in Zimbabwe. He is Tauck's ambassador and will book your trips for you. He understands the Tauck schedule and will make sure that you do not have any conflicts. The representative in the hotel lobby will book trips that will cause conflicts. Brighton also will meet you before each trip which is great. We booked a Walk with the Lions which left at 6:00 a.m. Brighton was there in the morning and calling the tour company for us when it was not showing up. It is great to have this service. Tauck pays for it, it is wonderful, and it will enhance the pleasure of your trip to have him intercede for you.

It's a great trip.
  • Options
    Thank you for the valuable in formation on Zimbabwe. A couple of questions. Is Brighten a Tauck employee? How much free time is available to take the "Walk with the Lions"? Is there enough time to also take a helicopter ride over the Falls? Thank you. If you would like to contact me directly my e-mail address is lbmilo@comcast.net. There are four of us going on the Elegant Africa trip leaving on 5/14. We're from the San Francisco and Napa Valley areas. Anyone else going to be on this trip?
  • Options
    LeeM: I am also from the San Francisco area and am taking the South Africa trip in September. I hope very much you will share your experiences and tips on this forum when you return.
  • Options
    smarks50, please send me your e-mail address and I'll keep you up to date.
  • Options
    LeeM: Thanks much for the offer. My email address is smarks50@aol.com. Hope your trip is wonderful - I can't wait for September to arrive.
  • Options
    I just got back from the Elegant Adventure trip to S. Africa and just loved it. Christine was our guide and did a great job. All I can add to the above info, is a Safari hat would come in handy. It will keep the sun off your neck, ears and face. This was my 8th or 9th trip with Tauck and it was the BEST.
  • Options
    I just came back from this trip and it was awesome. You can safely drink water and eat all foods. Do not bring water, Tauck provides it. Laundry is available at all the hotels, but it makes the most sense to have it done at Sabi Sabi. I don't know the cost, but it is midway through the trip and a good time to have the laundry done. Baggage is an issue worth thinking about in advance. The international flights allow 50 pounds, but the domestic flights within South Africa only allow 44 lbs. So, in order not to have to go on multiple lines and pay for excess baggage, you should make sure that your baggage weighs less than 44 pounds. Also, keep in mind that things/rules change in Africa by the minute. We were allowed to roll our 21 inch carry on bag to the flight which was then stored in the cargo when we went to Zimbabwe. On the way back, we had to send it as storage from the check-in gate and we had no locks for it. So, if you take a roll on bag, make sure you have an extra lock that you can add to the bag at the last moment if you have to store it in cargo. Baggage theft is high in Africa. The easiest way to travel is to have one large cargo bag, with locks, that weighs less than 44 pounds and one small carry-on without wheels that will hang off your shoulder for meds and important items. The dress is casual on this trip and given the dusty conditions I wore the same "safari outfit" each of the four days which minimized the amount of clothing I needed to pack with me. Be sure to pack sun-screen. You don't need much bug spray Sabi Sabi, tinge and Victoria Falls Hotel provide it. Bring binoculars! I hope this helps. Bring a rain coat, but don't use it on the safaris. On the safaris use the ponchos provided. There are safes in all rooms. I hope this helps.
  • Options
    Thank you for the valuable information. We are taking the 3/17 tour to So. Africa and I was glad to get the luggage weight information straightened out. We heard the concerns about credit-card usage as it pertains to identity theft and will use cash for purchases in most cases. We can arrange to secure rands through our bank prior to departure and we'll also have USDs. I'd prefer to not use the ATMs in So. Africa, if possible. Can you give us an estimate of what a sufficient amount of cash would be for the meals that we're responsible for? I'm trying to come up with a reasonable figure for the entire 2 weeks (we're staying 2 extra days).
  • Options
    DFM -- we are going on the trip May 22, would you please post your experiences on the forum when you get back and with any advice. Thanks. PARR
  • Options
    DFM -- we are going on the trip May 22, would you please post your experiences on the forum when you get back and with any advice. Thanks. PARR
  • Options
  • Options
    McCarthyFamily: Thanks for the information. How do you contact Brighton. He doesn't appear to be a Tauck employee. You can contact me directly at lbmilo@comcast.net, if you prefer. Thanks.
This discussion has been closed.