Longer Review

Since the page for trip reviews has a character limit, here is a longer version.

We're back from a small group tour (Sept. 2017), but not yet brave enough to step on the scales. We enjoyed the trip and ate too much. The high points were the food, especially dinner at the 'Hairy Lobster' and the walking/munching tour of Pike Market in Seattle. The low points were the bus ride for the day trip to Mt. Hood and the trip from Portland to Seattle - not bad, just the normal bus ride. And it felt like every city had more people than we remembered from earlier trips.

Portland - Had dinner at the "Hairy Lobster" - multiple courses, ate too much! Next day, trip to Timberline Lodge and back. The air was still smoky from area forest fires, but clear enough to see some scenery. We didn't return down the Gorge due to that fire, so TAUCK substituted beer tasting back in Portland instead of wine tasting in Hood River. That suited me just fine as we got back to the hotel sooner.

Seattle - The dinner was switched from the Space Needle (remodeling) to a restaurant on the waterfront. The sunset viewing was murky (smoke/clouds) but the menu at the substitute place was good. There were lots of people at the Pike Market, even though the guide said it was relatively uncrowded. I would hate to see what crowded would be like.

Victoria - Nice stop to do (hard) cider tasting, then Butchart Gardens (a bit crowded) where the lunch was "High Tea" (lots of little sandwiches and deserts). Float planes (14 passengers) left from the cove at the gardens and took us to the float plane port in Vancouver, just in time to meet the bus with the luggage.

Vancouver - The Capilano Bridge was interesting and they had added a "cliff walk" since we were there years ago with Cruise West. Also had too many people. The farewell dinner was at "Seasons in the Park" in Stanley Park - nice setting and an excellent dinner.

As far as the small groups, the obvious benefit is the shorter shuffle off the bus at any stop. Also, more of the included dinners seem to have complimentary wine/beer - on other TAUCK trips that was usually only the first/last dinner, but the "tea" and the "Space Needle substitute" also included wine. I don't know if that is a small group thing, or a "Taste of Pacific NW" thing.

Comments

• Redwood. Thanks for the review. Am considering this trip for 2018. That is the only part of the U.S.A and Canada I have not seen. Have been on three other Tauck Tours. Always top notch.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file