Options

Blue Mountains, Sydney

We’re trying to decide between taking a tour to the Blue Mountains or taking the train and then the hop on hop off bus during our free day in Sydney. Has anyone done one of the tours or taken the train and did you like it? Do you have any caveats?

Thank you.

Comments

• Options
    Rmm6 - not sure if your plan to "take the train" refers to visiting the Blue Mountains or another activity. I would suggest that you visit the Mountain using an organised tour group which you can readily locate online. Their pick-up points will at various establishments in the city.

If you want to take a train to wherever, you probably need to get yourself an OPAL card to facilitate access onto and off the railway stations/trains. See Transport for NSW website for information about this:

https://www.opal.com.au/en/about-opal/opal_for_visitors/

I am an Australian but not from Sydney. Visited Sydney a couple of weeks ago with some friends from Canada.
  • Options
    Rmm6 wrote:
    We’re trying to decide between taking a tour to the Blue Mountains or taking the train and then the hop on hop off bus during our free day in Sydney. Has anyone done one of the tours or taken the train and did you like it? Do you have any caveats?

Thank you.
    Was in Sydney 2014. Took a Gray Bus Line tour to the Blue Mts. Wife and I enjoyed it very much.
  • Options
    Thank you for the responses. I meant to say take the train to the Blue Mountains. It seems they have an easy route with stops in Laura and Katoomba and in Katoomba there’s a hop on hop off bus to take you to the major sites.

I’ve seen all the offerings on Viator, etc. and they all seem to go to other places (wildlife park) as well. We weren’t sure we wanted to do that. They also don’t offer hiking time, but maybe I’m wrong about that. We’re not up to moderate or difficult hikes, but we would like to walk some easier trails.

John T - I’d heard about the Opal card but wasn’t sure if it was something we should get for just one day. We’ll definitely get this if we decide on the train route.

Wildcat03 - was the Grayline a large bus tour? Did they give you time on your own to do a little walking/hiking?

Melanie

• Options
    Rmm6 wrote:
    Thank you for the responses. I meant to say take the train to the Blue Mountains. It seems they have an easy route with stops in Laura and Katoomba and in Katoomba there’s a hop on hop off bus to take you to the major sites.

I’ve seen all the offerings on Viator, etc. and they all seem to go to other places (wildlife park) as well. We weren’t sure we wanted to do that. They also don’t offer hiking time, but maybe I’m wrong about that. We’re not up to moderate or difficult hikes, but we would like to walk some easier trails.

John T - I’d heard about the Opal card but wasn’t sure if it was something we should get for just one day. We’ll definitely get this if we decide on the train route.

Wildcat03 - was the Grayline a large bus tour? Did they give you time on your own to do a little walking/hiking?

Melanie
    It was a large bus with about a 1-1/2 hour ride. Once at the mts. we took are the different rides plus had lunch and walked through the rain forest. On the way back to Sydney we stopped at a small local zoo. All day trip but quite nice if you are going to be in Sydney for only a few days.
  • Options
    Take the train, don't go on the tour.On the tour, you spend more time on the coach than you do actually visiting the places. My advice would be to make your own way there and use public transport, it's cheaper as well.

Travel Visa Australia
  • Options
    It was a few years ago, but I used a company called Boutique Tours. I thought they were excellent. When I went there were just myself and one couple and the guide. An excellent day.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file