Options

The Blue Train

Going on An Elegant Adventure in August 2013.
Has anyone taken the Blue Train from johannesburg to Capetown?
If so, was it worth the price and effort? How many hours does it take?

Thank you,
Carol

Comments

• Options
    In 2005, my husband and I took the Blue Train from Capetown to Pretoria. I am a travel agent and had heard of this train, so we wanted to experience it.

The train is beautiful, the rooms are small, the food is delicious, and the drinks are plentiful. After a lunch of filet mignon and wine, we went to our room for a nap. I had to lay on the floor, because the bed wasn't made up in the middle of the day.....When we were on the train, everything except very expensive wines, etc. were included in the price.

The trip is very expensive--back then it was about $1300 to $1400 per person--the trip lasted one night and we had one stop in a very small town of Matjiesfontein. If you love trains, and the cost is not prohibitive, I would say, "Go for it!" We figured we would probably not be back there, although I would love to go again. We wanted to do and see all that we could.

Debbie Caswell
    dcas9999@msn.com
  • Options
    We saw your question about the Blue Train, but we would like to suggest you look at Rovos Rail as well. The Blue Train makes the trip in two days with an overnight on the rails. It is about a 26-hour trip. We traveled on Rovos Rail and did the same trip in about 52 hours at a much more leisurely pace. If you can "hook-up" the two trips it is a fabulouse look at South Africa. Rovos Rail stops at Kimberly for a tour, and also stops at Majitsfontein. One price pays for everything on the train. Three levels of accomodations. We recomment the mid-level compartment. You will love the extra space. The cars are much more colorful, and the meals are fantastic. Rovos Rail also originates in Pretoria and takes you down to Cape Town. We flew into Johanesburg and spent the night, and then had a private car arranged to take us to the Depot for Rovos Rail. You can tour their Station, and enjoy beverages and snacks before the trip begins. We recommend you check this out as well.
This discussion has been closed.