Options

yellowstone Grand Tetons

Taking our first Tauck tour. We leave in three weeks. Wondering what to pack. Should we take hiking boots? Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    Unless you plan to go hiking at the crack of dawn before the bus leaves the hotels in the morning, I can't see when you'd have time to use hiking boots! All the regular activities can be managed in comfortable, sturdy shoes ... trainers, Tevas .. whatever. I would suggest that you have clothes you can layer. I did this trip some years ago ... my first Tauck trip! ... in August, and I remember starting out the days with a top and a sleeveless, light woollen zip-up top. As the morning progressed, off came the zip-up. Pack tops you can wear all at once if you have to! I don't remember ever needing a windbreaker or jacket, even on the float trip down the Snake River. I did wear a long sleeved cotton shirt to protect from the sun, though. (I had to check the photos from the trip to make sure. Life jackets make for such attractive shots!)

Take some insect repellent, sunscreen and a sun hat. Hopefully you won't need the repellent, but you never know. All my suggestions are subjective. Mountain weather can change in an instant.... go layers! Have a great time!

Cheers,

Jan

• Options
    Hi, can anyone who has been on this trip tell me the dress code for dinners at Yellowstone & Grand Tetons-specifically at the Snow Lodge, the main dining room at the Old Faithful & the Mural Room in Grand Tetons? Are jeans ok or no? I usually do capris, etc for dinners on Tauck trips but I read it can get into the 40's at night on this trip (we're going in July). Don't want to overpack or over/underdress. We are actually on the Yellowstone Safari but there is a little (very little) more action here in this forum. Thanks!!
  • Options
    We did the Safari last year in September. No problem with jeans at either location but you may still want to bring the capris - we had great weather.
  • Options
    I'll pack them, glad to hear you had great weather! How were the hikes on the Safari? How was the trip in general? Any details would be greatly appreciated!!
  • Options
    I have a number of posts in the Yellowstone & Grand Tetons - American Safari forum in the "not-so-fit" and "hiking shoes" sections. After you read them, just let me know if you have any more questions. It was a great trip and I'm sure you'll love it.
This discussion has been closed.