Random airport testing resumes next week

If you are vaccinated, as we are, they may select you for a random test on arrival at the Vancouver airport, and if you test positive, you must quarantine for 10 days. Even if you are vaccinated. Canadian officials were talking about removing this requirement, but now they have decided to leave it in place. https://www.canada.ca/en/public-health/news/2022/07/government-of-canada-is-re-establishing-mandatory-random-testing-offsite-of-airports-for-air-travellers.html

This is a deal breaker. Seriously considering cancelling our late July itinerary.

Comments

• First I've heard of this, quite troubling. This certainly isn't going to help Canadian tourism. While you could test yourself before you leave, of course that would be a bit late to suddenly cancel. I heard discussion today that even upcoming vaccines won't be able to keep up with new variants. It's a crazy time. Best of luck with your decision

• Although unfortunate, it certainly doesn't surprise me given the rise in cases and ever-evolving mutations of the virus. We fly to Toronto late September of this year for the start of a Tauck tour and will need to be tested again before embarking on a Ponant small ship cruise.

It is what it is. All I can do is continue to take precautions and hope for the best. In the meantime, I will continue to live my life.

• We fly to Toronto and on to Halifax next Friday for our Tauck Nova Scotia/PEI tour. I’m trying to isolate as much as possible before our flight!

• LSMiller - If you are flying to Halifax via Toronto, you may not be subject to the random testing. They are doing it a four major airports (Vancouver, Calgary, Toronto and Montreal). The write up says that they are sending people off site to get tested. I can't see them doing that for connecting flights. You may be spared.

Remember to sign up for the ArriveCAN entry form within 72 hours of your arrival in Canada. This is required whether you arrive by car or by plane. There are special rules for people arriving on a cruise ship.

• We filled our the ArriveCAN online and I’m very adapt with the computer and honest to goodness found it quite challenging to fill out. Also, not one person asked to see anything upon our arrival.

• @Kathy M Thank you for the information. We are hoping to do the paper work less than 72 hours before arrival since neither my husband or myself are too computer savvy.

• We are taking this trip in June 2023. I'm curious about packing. Do we need more formal clothes for this trip?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file