Options

Savoring France Rhone river cruise

2»

Comments

• Options

I agree with Claudia Sails. In 2019 Savoring France I chose cycling from Les Baux to Arles and cycling across the river in Avignon through orchards. Both excursions included picnic stops. In 2022 French Escapade I enjoyed the tour through the Jewish neighborhood of Avignon rather than the Palais des Papes. A warning… In 2022 I skipped the group bus tour of Paris to spend time exploring on my own. During the bus tour guests were asked to raise their hand if they had signed up for the cycling tour along the Rhône. The guide needed to reserve the number of bicycles needed. Several other guests had also indicated their optional excursion choices weeks before the tour. The night before the cycling excursion some of us heard about the count on the bus earlier in the week. We were told there would be no bicycles/cycling excursion for us since we were not counted on the bus tour in Paris. Little by little, more and more guests heard that they were not counted but had indicated cycling as their excursion option weeks earlier. The director was not happy as each time she heard of more cyclists, she had to call the contracted operator to increase the number. I ended up with a bicycle with fat tires and smaller wheels. It made cycling into the wind very difficult.

• Options

How many nights on this tour were dressy? Thank you

• Options
    edited April 25

"Dressy" is a relative term. We added days before and after the tour and since we enjoy fine dining at times, my husband always wears a suit jacket and I enjoy wearing dresses, particularly since I like to sew. There are usually two evenings on the boat that, in my opinion, warrant something different than what was worn while touring during the day. There is usually one special event off the boat in which it might be recommended to "dress up."

Regarding luggage weight concerns and room, my dresses take up far less room than dress slacks and nicer tops (which I also take). It also helps that we have luggage with a garment section for hanging.

The main thing is to enjoy yourself and wear what you are comfortable with, keeping in mind to be respectful of the venue and the host country. It's a fabulous tour!