Options

GIFT OF TIME

it edis true. the gift of time is really a half gift. as other readers we have travelled to wonderful places with tauck. we ae going to vietnam and cambodia this fall and the two extra days are needed after flying for 21 hours.if cruiselines award guests who have sailed many times, why can't tauck rsume thye two day gift of time.

Comments

• Options
    I'm sorry, but as pointed out in another forum, we should be thanking Tauck for this gift. It is not a half-gift. It is not an entitlement. My wife and I were thrilled about the 2-day "Gift of Time" for our French Waterways and Vineyards river cruise this year, and we are equally thrilled about next year's 1-day. It is a "gift" . . . and gifts deserve a thank you. Thank you Tauck!
  • Options

We were prepared to book an Oct trip to Italy, but will not now as we discovered Gift of Time is not being offered for any trips in 2012, ended that promotion Dec 2011 for 2012. Need to have at least one day/night to adjust to time change so that is a major disappointment.
  • Options
    Check the discussion about the "half gift of time" as this topic was discussed there. I am also sorry to hear that you will not take a tour since you will not have the gift of time. Tauck will book you extra nights at their discounted rate, if you want to arrive early. I have stayed longer on a couple of tours, at my own expense, with this rate plus breakfast. If there is a tour company out there that gives extra days, I would be interested in hearing about it even though I am sure that the quality will not match Tauck.
  • Options
    Hi Kathy,

I agree with everything you said. It is silly not to book a tour with Tauck because of needing a free night at their hotel to catch up on sleep or rest. If you don't like Tauck's rate at the hotel for an extra day or night, you can use American Express points or whatever hotel points one has to get it for free. It was a gift and the gift is over now because of the World economy. We used points at the Paris Inter-Continental last year to extend our stay for free. Tauck DID take us to the airport when we were ready to leave the day after the tour ended. I believe that the free pickup and return to the airport is gift enough. We are going on Tauck tour number 18 in August.

Sheila
  • Options
    I so agree, Kathy and Sheila. You budget for an entire holiday, not one day short because ...? I can't think why you wouldn't budget for the entire time you wanted to be away. Or why you'd take a tour with another company because they had a longer tour by a day, which they included in the total cost, of course, but then marketed it as an "extra" day....? Huh?

And I'm with you on the airport pickup and delivery, Sheila. Common sense tells me those costs are built into the tour cost, but as a solo traveler who before she hangs up her passport for good (hopefully not any time soon!) hopes that one day she'll learn how to pack light ... and actually like it! But until that day I really like knowing that after a long international flight from the other side of the world I will be collected at the airport and delivered gently, so as not to wake me from my jet-lagged slumber, to another one of Tauck's carefully chosen hotels. Sigh. And since I am travelling from the other side of the world, I budget for 5 extra days (on my dime or points) in my first international port of call, just to get over the jet lag and not waste 5 days sleeping on the bus. To miss the first days of a trip with jet lag seems like false economy to me! Besides, the best way to explore a new city is on foot. I know, many US cities don't lend themselves to foot traffic, which is why San Francisco is my favourite first port of call in the States. After last year, Boston is a close second.

Cheers,

Jan
This discussion has been closed.