Options

Savoring France-April 3,2024

Just returned (May 12), from my first Tauck tour, on the Rhine. As a solo traveler I had the opportunity to meet and make some wonderful friends. The tour was as most say: WONDERFUL. So much so, I have booked another tour.
However, I planning on going into Paris a few days prior to the start of things. I am booking Guy Savoy, and will try to hit the Opera. I noticed that space is starting to fill up on the Emerald. So, if anyone might be interested in meeting prior to the things, please reach out. Looking forward to meeting more travelers who are in search an adventure.

Comments

• Options

Guy Savoy is a wonderful restaurant and one of my Paris favorites. I was on the same cruise last year and it was the first cruise of the season. Hope your departure has better weather than we did. It was snowing in Paris when we arrived and was cold and damp until we transferred to Lyon. So I would advise that you be sure to have a waterproof layer that you can wear over a sweater or warm layers underneath. Have a great time.

• Options

Gourmet Gal
    Thank you for the advice, I knew my departure date might not be the best choice of the year, but I enjoyed my first tour so much, I said, heck with-it! I’m looking forward to Paris (depending on local chaos at the time). Food! Can’t wait…..Choices are endless. I’m headed to Vegas in a few weeks, and will try out Guy Savoy there, just as a preview.

Also, to your point, as a solo traveler, I’ll have a whole closet to fill with the proper travel clothing! Again, thanks for the heads-up.

• Options

Headed out on the 4/3/23 tour. We are going to be at the Le Grand four days prior to the start of the tour. Anyone else in town ahead of the tour? Just thought it would be nice to start things off a little early. Looking forward to finding the local hotspots for dining……

• Options

We're on the April 3 tour as well. Can't wait, it's our first Tauck tour! Good info about the weather. Any other advice would be welcome.

• Options

We dined at Guy Savoy's this past April after the London/Paris/Seine River tour. It was exquisite. We also had a very nice lunch at the Opera House across from the hotel and a delicious dinner at the hotel itself. Other times we would purchase a baguette and cheese and have a picnic lunch on a park/street bench.

The Savoring France tour is fabulous and you truly do savor your way from Paris to Lyon. Enjoy and please consider posting a review afterwards.

• Options

We are doing ‘Savoring France’ on September 21 of next year. These reviews sound great.

• Options

LOVE, LOVE Guy Savoy! A few days after our May 2022 Savoring France cruise we ate dinner there on my significant birthday! Next May we join Music on the Danube for our 50th anniversary, and are planning to stop in Paris a couple days before just to go to dinner there again. Exquisite.

• Options

Once again I have been proven to be part of the ‘carriage staff’ of Tauck travelers. Five hundred twenty-five dollars per plate for dinner. I’m impressed, but that exceeds my ‘foody’ inclinations. Bon appetite, (;-) There are many restaurants in Paris that can meet or exceed our expectations. We have been there many times.

• Options

Sealord - There are other dining options at Guy Savoy. I had trouble the first time I visited their website. I think I found more choices by searching...'Menu options Guy Savoy Paris'...something like that.

Like Marla526, we were celebrating a birthday and the end of a great tour. Our meal and ambience of the setting were exquisite.

Marla526 - Please post a review after your Danube music tour. Thanks.

• Options
    edited November 2023

Of course kfnknfzk! Always do reviews post tour. Agree that the menu at Guy Savoy is not limited to the multi course one. Lots of alacarte to choose from.

• Options

Marla526 - I'm fairly certain I decided to dine at Guy Savoy based on your recommendation on some other thread. Thank you!

I know it's a long way off, but I am very eager to read your review of the 'Magical Music' tour. I will be traveling with a young lady--and her fathers--who will know next spring if she is accepted to The Juilliard School in Manhattan. Fingers crossed!

• Options
    edited November 2023

kfnknfzk - I’m on the 4/3 tour out of Paris. I’ll be in Paris a week before my tour with my son who by chance is a Chef/owner. He won’t have the fortune to join me on the tour, but we are going to hit Guy Savoy and several of the other Michelin restaurants. However, through discussions so far, I think we are going to op for the a la carte menus to get a better feel for the particular Chef of the nite. Just a thought: The prefixed menu’s always have a few things we are not overly excited about. When you’re talking about a dinner with wine exceeding $6-700 pp, well, we want to know we’re going to enjoy the entire experience.
    See what happens………Also going to try as many local spots as we can too. Hoping that there are many surprises…….

• Options
    edited November 2023

irdvo116,

They have several fixed choices and, of course, a la carte choices. I do not think you will be disappointed. It is imperative to have reservations.

I actually pay no attention to Michelin ratings. When I was researching the restaurant I came across an article about how they lost one 'star' because one of the judges (or whoever evaluates) did not like the type of cheese used in one dish!

The tour itself is wonderful. You will truly be savoring your way along the Rhone and there will be many surprises. Enjoy. I look forward to your review!

• Options

These activities might also be of interest.....

Le Marais - The old Jewish quarter of Paris. Many authentic Jewish bakeries and several places offering delicious falafels. Many establishments are closed on the Sabbath (Saturday).

Montmartre - The highest point in Paris for unparalleled views of the city.

• Options

Irdvo116…..my hubby does not eat any fish or seafood, which is in large part on any great restaurant’s menu. We emailed Guy Savoy several months before and told them of our issue. We also requested lamb, which he loves. Not only was lamb on the Ala carte menu that evening, the entire meal was delicious beyond words.

And yes kfnknfzk, we did converse prior to your going to Paris this last time, and I encouraged you to eat at Guy Savoy! Glad it was wonderful. We cannot wait to make our next reservations end of January for our late May visit!! Excited that your young friend might be at Julliard! I am a music major in voice from the mid 70’s…..and have gotten my hubby to be an avid classical music fan over our 50+ years together!

• Options

Good point about the menu being heavy on fish and seafood. We rarely eat meat, so we usually ignore the meat choices. I do enjoy a filet mignon now and then, however.

Again, have a wonderful journey (both you and irdvo116) and a glorious holiday season. I look forward to your reviews.

• Options

Maria526..Thank you for the information. I find the forum so useful. Everyone offers such helpful information. Just the mention of lamb made me that more anxious to get going on this trip. Can’t wait to get to Lyon too!!

Kfnknfk…thank you for your thoughts. Reviews will follow. I have been doing most of my food related research through YouTube. I have been following; Les Frenchies. They seem to offer pretty fair reviews about France. Now there is Maria526 ramping things up with talk about lamb!.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file