Options

New Royal Collections Gallery in Madrid

I read an article that there is a new museum adjacent to the Royal Palace in Madrid opening June 29. The seven floors of the Royal Collections Gallery will house paintings by major artists (Velázquez, Goya, Caravaggio, Titian and Tintoretto), sculptures, rare books, tapestries, furniture, carriages, and other art objects. The art was all acquired by the Spanish crown and is now owned by the people of Spain. In a city with great museums, this is likely to be next to the Prado in quality and size. Hopefully, Tauck will incorporate this into their tours, since they already visit the Royal Palace. If not, you may want to visit on your own. Likely to be very crowded this summer when it opens.

Comments

• Options

On our Exploring the Douro plus Madrid and Lisbon on tour day we did the Royal Palace before lunch, then the Prado, then there was a Tapa tasting tour. They promised we were not going to vixit all three thousand rooms in the Palace but I think they lied. By Prado time, everyone was looking for places to sit and they were few and far betwen. If you are going to add the Palace Museum, I think you need another day in Madrid. As it was we skipped the Tapas walking tour and had a ‘sit down’ dinner. They said the Tapas tour was great, but I was done standing and walking. The Prado is only a short walk from the hotel.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file