Options

Luberon Villages from Marseille day trip

Staying extra in Marseille post "Treasures" cruise and looking for a day trip to the Luberon villages including Roussilon, Gordes, Lourmarin and wondering if anyone has done this, and might recommend a guide. Turns out our best day for this is a Wednesday, which is not generally a market day. Other suggestions welcome, too. Thank you!

Comments

• Options

We did that area with a guide, Janicke, through the company Discover Provence. However, it looks like the company is shutting down - their web site says they don't do tours any more. Janicke may have moved to another company. She was very good.

• Options

I can't help you with a tour guide, but if you do go to Gordes and if you enjoy glass art, especially stained glass, there is a museum--Musée du Verre et du Vitrail--which we enjoyed. My husband liked the corkscrew museum, but I'm not sure if that was in Gordes.

Roussillon is charming with all things ochre. Even the tombstones in the cemetery are ochre-colored.

A side note on the Provence lavender fields..... I recently read an article that discussed how the ravages of climate change have already had an impact on the crops, so much so that the growers are developing alternative plans and may have to move crops farther north within France. Tragically sad if accurate.

• Options

You can research the website “www.ToursByLocals.com”

• Options

Thanks for feedback. We're making sure to see Roussilon, and I read relocation of fields also due to farmers wanting to develop/use land for other economic reasons too. Still want to see what is there. Alas, Mike you're right Discover is off the grid now. Our Travels -- yes we've used Tours by locals and generally like them a lot. thanks for that nice reminder~

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file