Options

Currency

We are taking the England, Scotland, and Wales trip followed by the Best Of Ireland trip. I would prefer to not have to carry two different currencies (GBP for England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland and EUR for Ireland) so does Ireland accept the GBP? Does it create a problem to just focus on carrying GBP?

Comments

• Options
    My husband and I are doing the Best of Ireland tour in July. We would also like to know if we need two different currencies in Ireland. I did email Tauck over a week ago with the same question and did not receive a reply. They are probably flooded also with problems in Europe.
    Looking forward to our trip!!
  • Options
    Northern Ireland uses British pound. Republic of Ireland is part of European Union and uses euros.
  • Options
    We just got back from a week in London, and followed it up with the Best of Ireland tour. Carrying two currencies did not pose any problems. We exchanged US for GBP in London, and stuck with it until we flew into Ireland. Then we exchanged for Euros to use in the Republic of Ireland, retaining some GBP for Northern Ireland. Once we got back into Dublin, we exchanged the GBP for Euros, and finished our travels with the one currency. In addition, both our driver and tour director were Irish, so we were able to utilize our Euros for our gratuities. We kept every separated in envelopes and had no problem switching currencies. It was nice to have Euros in the Republic for the meals on your own and chances to go to the local pubs for a good Irish meal.
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    THANKS FOR POSTING INFO ON CURRENCY. I TOO AM DOING BACK TO BACK TOURS STARTING IN IRELAND THIS JULY/2014.
    WAS ALSO WONDERING HOW DID YOU FIND THE PACE OF DOING BOTH TOURS? WAS THERE ENOUGH TIME ON EACH LEG TO REJUVINATE?
    THANK YOU IN ADVANCE,
    LARK
  • Options
    LARK, On our first leg in London, we did have quite a relaxing pace. Going over to Ireland was no problem at all. The pace on the Best of Ireland was pretty relaxing too. There is a bit of coach time as the distances are long. But the breaks and refreshments were timely. I think that if you are in good health, it will be a great time!
  • Options
    THANK YOU SO MUCH RANDALL AND DONNA. I AM IN EXCELLENT HEALTH. ONE OF THE REASONS I CHOSE THIS COMPANY WAS THE 2 NIGHT STAYS. IT SEEMED MORE RELAXED. SO GLAD THAT YOU BOTH HAD A WONDERFUL TIME. I CAN'T WAIT TO EXPERIENCE IT ALL.
    BEST WISHES,
    LARK (LORIE)
This discussion has been closed.