Paris Impressions from the Seine: Paris to Normandy May 23rd to May 30th, 2024 Part Three

May 28th Les Andelys we had chosen the 9:30am tour and it had started to rain so people were dropping like flies. Our first stop was a 30-minute drive into the countryside where apples are king. A tasting and visit to a local farm share the bounty of the land in the form of freshly pressed cider and aged brandy with pâte and confiture, preserved fruit. The large and beautiful farmhouse presented us with a 45-minute presentation by a family matriarch telling us about how he uses natural remedies such as earthworms to grow his products. He chose to use a translator and I wish he would get more comfortable cushions to sit on. I had thought we might be able to walk out and look at his apple trees, however, we were sent to the tasting room of 3 of his brandies which I thought were very good and then could go into the shop where we could taste the wares produced. I bought a bottle of brandy and some delicious mustard. We were given a jar of the local Apple Jelly by Tauck. On the way back we stopped to see the ruins of Château Gaillard and our guide boarded our bus since it was raining. We then were driven to the small town where we toured the old church and walked back to the ship, had lunch and set sail for Vernon. We knew we would have the French Can Can dancers that night. Life in these French villages seem so unhurried and full of fresh food and wine.
May 29th Today we departed the ship at 7:45am for a 25-minute ride to Monet’s Gardens in GIVERNY. We parked and they created a gentle walking tour for us slower ones who did not want to travel up steps. We arrived and waited for our early morning opening. There are lots of pictures to take of beautiful flowers and it is a vast estate. We went all through the gardens, the house and finally reached the restrooms before exiting through the gift shop. The gift shop is his former studio and anything you could possibly think of is there. I purchased a coffee mug with a beautiful scene of Monet’s water lilies so I can enjoy the view and think of my trip! Afterwards we are all to walk and tour the Impressionist Museum down the street and meet our Tauck tour guides at 1 pm and walk back to the bus. There are some additional shops and a café, but our journey has come to an end, we must pack and prepare to leave early in the morning for our flights home or the lucky ones who are extending their stays.
So, what do I regret? Not booking the 10-night river cruise! Paris was clean, charming and they easily switched from French to English. One of my favorite Bus drivers was Aldee who always made sure to help me on and off the coach. One night on the cruise they even had a Chocolate affair with many delicious deserts. The food, the people the accommodations were fantastic. At one point at lunch, Ratna noticed my unsweetened ice tea was pale and asked if she could get me a better one. Another time she brought us soup and ensured we had the chair and table we were comfortable with. The assistant Maitre D was Vanesa who did a most excellent job running the restaurant. Petar, Milan and Octavian were always full of smiles and catered to us during cocktail hour! Doina was the best cabin stewardess and completely trustworthy. I do wish there were a few more handicap bars in the restrooms on the ship and in the buildings, but, I was so glad I got to go!!