Options

flights from NY to Capetown

What is the best route, flight or airline to go from NYC area to Capetown?

Comments

• Options
    I will be going to Capetown from NYC on KLM stopping in Amsterdam.
  • Options
    How long a layover do you have in Amsterdam?
    What time does it leave NY and what time do you arrive in Capetown?
    Do you also have a stop in Joberg?
    Do you know if KLM has flat beds?
    Thanks for your response.
    It is a tough flight so I would like to try to make it as easy as possible.
    Do you prefer to arrive in Capetown in the morning or in the evening?
  • Options
    This will be my first trip to South Africa so I don't have the answers to some of your questions, however, I just returned from the Kenya & Tanzania trip. For that trip I left NYC at 6 PM and had a 3 hour layover in Amsterdam. On KLM I flew economy comfort which did not have flat beds - you will have to do 1st class for that, but the economy comfort has extra leg room so it worked out fine. I am going to South Africa a day early, as I regret not doing that on my recent trip.
  • Options
    Thanks so much for your immediate response.
    I think that is the best way to go as it will break up the long travel.
    South Africa Air leaves NY at around 11:00 am and arrives in Capetown next day at around that same time with a 2 hour layover in Joberg.
    Either way I hope to be able to use points to get my flights in Business Class.
    I am not going until Oct of 2013 but I am trying to do my flight homework so I can book what I want as soon as the rewards seats open up.
  • Options
    We are booked on that South African Air flight thru JNB in April. We used United Miles for the entire Business Class trip and our return flight starts in Victoria Falls. That way, we also fly 1st class Vic Falls to JNB and avoid the transfer of luggage and customs again in Joberg. I was checking a couple of times a day for a few weeks, until the dates finally showed up for mileage plus.
  • Options
    That is great! It is so much easier on that long a flight to be able to go Business Class!
    How many rewards points did you have to use?
    So, when I book my flights, I want to rerurn home from Victoria Falls which has only the one stop in Joberg?
    What time is the flight from Victoria Falls?
    Is that the airport the tour takes you to on the last day?
  • Options
    It was 240,000 miles for the two of us (round trip from Cleveland)
    I believe the Vic Falls airport is the one that Tauck uses, but either way, they are taking us to the airport. Our flight leaves around 1:20P. (Tauck also gave us a credit for the air from Victoria Falls to JNB, since we are not using their flight.) The flight out of JNB leaves at 6:10P and gets into D.C. at 6:25A. (The flight does have a 1 hour layover in Dakar, but I don't think we have to get out of the plane.)
This discussion has been closed.