Options

National Parks in Southwest & Yellowstone/Tetons in June

Has anyone ever been on the Southwest National Parks - Bryce, Zion and Grand Canyon Tauck Tour in June or Yellowstone/Tetons in June? I am contemplating doing these two back to back next year and want to avoid extreme cold/heat, if possible. I know Mother Nature will always do her thing, but I can at least attempt to make plans.

Comments

• Options
    I just completed the Spirit of the Desert ... on Saturday 29th. I chose September over my usual time of travelling to the US in June/July because I thought the desert heat would be less oppressive now. For my trip, the mornings were cold but as the day progressed, so did the extra layers of clothing disappear. Many days were well over 30C, so the autumn can be hot, too. Everyone agreed that I made a good choice not to visit in June or July.

I took the Yellowstone & Grand Tetons trip a few years ago in early August. My experience of the weather was similar to last week's trip. A bit nippy in the mornings and becoming hot as the day wore on. I certainly wouldn't have wanted to be there in June/July, either.

If you travel to the S/W national parks in September you will see the most gorgeous autumn colours ... golden and copper aspens... lovely! The 2 trips would work very well together. My opinion would be to avoid June/July, though.

Cheers,

Jan
  • Options
    So, are you saying that June (the month I want to go) would be too cool or too hot?
  • Options
    I live in Melbourne, which can be very hot in summer ... 35C, 40C is not unusual. Travelling at high altitudes and extreme heat is not my idea of a pleasurable trip. Do check weather.com for the averages, but IMHO I think June/July would be too hot for the trips you have in mind..... if you can manage alternative dates. Of course, it depends on what you're used to, but I'd suggest you avoid June/July if you can. I realise your dates must fit with all your other travel plans. I usually travel to the US in June/July, but this year, because I was sooooo determined to visit the national parks covered by the Spirit of the Desert trip, I planned my visit for September. There was another couple on my trip who had combined it with the Yellowstone one. I'm not sure if they managed a back-to-back departure or if there was more than 1 week between end/start dates. A lovely bonus to September is autumn in the mountains ... wonderful colours. Mid to late August would work, too. I am aware that this summer was especially hot.

Cheers,

Jan
This discussion has been closed.