Options

South Africa an Elegant Adventure Tour

How strict was the airline on the flight to Victoria Falls where the luggage should only weigh 44 pounds and the carry on 15 pounds. We are going in February and any tips would be helpful

Comments

• Options
    I did this trip in October. Luggage was weighed for each flight and on a few occasions I saw our tour guide pull guests aside. I am not sure if those bags were offset by some of us that were "underweight" or if they needed to pay extra fees. But on this trip you really don't need lots of clothes - you can wear the same things pretty much all safari days (just a rinse out at night); if you prefer it is possible to get laundry service along the way. The welcome and farewell dinner dress was also much more casual than I have seen on Tauck tours in Europe, for example. Do yourself a favor and take only the minimum - you will be glad when moving every few days.
  • Options
    Tell me what you liked about the trip? Didn't like? My mother and I are going in April. This is her bucket list not mine. I am sure I will love it in the end, but never look forward to going to a place where they have BIG SNAKES!
  • Options
    You should not worry too much about your wardrobe on this trip. Yes, they weigh your checked bag. They did not ever weigh carry on.
    All the places we stayed had excellent laundry service. In by 9, returned by 5, I wore same safari pants four days, one long sleeve, one short sleeve shirt. Need lots of t-shirts. At Vic Falls it is more humid and hot. Count on changing t-shirts often there.
    In the cities we did not dress up either.
    No jackets for guys needed.
    I wore a skirt for the welcome reception and the farewell dinner. Felt appropriate.
    My suitcase never weighed over 40 lbs. Even at the end with crafts purchased from the locals it was not overweight.
    Do bring the best camera you can afford - with at least 20x zoom. That's where it's at on safari!
    Enjoy this trip of a lifetime!
  • Options
    For the woman who doesn't know why she's going to S.A. and doesn't like snakes - we saw one snake, not close enough to get a decent photo.
    If you don't know anything about South Africa or why you should even care to visit, you need to read something before you travel. Tauck will recommend the books. And, If this is your mom's trip then support her by being excited for her to see and do everything. You might even find that you will enjoy it to.
    Your are one of the fortunate, you know that, don't you?
This discussion has been closed.