Flights from the US

I am interested in taking this tour in 2014. I am trying to figure out the best (less exhausting) way to fly to South Africa from the mid-US. I was thinking I would fly to Europe, stay a few days to break up the journey, and then fly to Africa. Maybe coming home I would not stop in Europe but continue going home.

Any suggestion on what routes work best? Business class would be nice if you have the miles!!!

Comments

• Two trips to africa. Both from LA and we always plan to arrive two days early. Be sure to get a 'lounge' pass if you are doing the travel in one step. The amsterdam layover was 7 hours.

I have never done to stop rest and sightsee and then continue travel. We just get it over with in one motion.

Several had stayed in Amerstamdam for a few days but then you get into different clothes and more luggage. We always travel with only a carryon thus limited choices of clothing....and no worries about lost luggage.

Business class is well worth it. The two legs are very long. After cape town we did fly direct to Atlanta. Overnight and we were able to sleep in BC.

• South African Airlines has a direct flight from JFK to Johannesburg. it may also leave from Atlanta, but you would have to check that. You would then transfer to another flight to Cape town. I believe total time is around 16 hours. Friends of ours went this way, said the airline was less expensive as well. They had no issues with the airline. I have checked it against Delta, and it is less expensive by about $300 economy class. They do not have economy comfort or premium economy. . Stopping over in Amsterdam if you have never been there is nice as well. Two or three days, depending on what you want to do is generally enough time to see the basics. Or there are several other European cities you can fly into as well.
  • The 2014 tour takes the reverse route starting in Livingstone. I was thinking of taking either Lufthansa, Chicago-Frankfurt (stay two nights)-Joburg-Livingstone, or Turkish Air/South African Air, Chicago-Istanbul (stay two nights) Joburg-Livingstone. Either would give us time to reset our clocks before flying to Joburg and Livingstone. Going home I would like Joburg-to New York or DC, then Chicago.

For some reason from what I see, all the flights from Joburg to Livingstone leave before 11 am. For flights from Europe, the connection time is too short (for us) to make sure I get to the Livingstone leg on the same day. This would mean a night in Joburg. Has anyone stayed at a hotel near the airport? Any recommendations?

Emily: If Tauck arranges the air, what route would be chosen?
  • TravelGuy wrote:
    The 2014 tour takes the reverse route starting in Livingstone. I was thinking of taking either Lufthansa, Chicago-Frankfurt (stay two nights)-Joburg-Livingstone, or Turkish Air/South African Air, Chicago-Istanbul (stay two nights) Joburg-Livingstone. Either would give us time to reset our clocks before flying to Joburg and Livingstone. Going home I would like Joburg-to New York or DC, then Chicago.

For some reason from what I see, all the flights from Joburg to Livingstone leave before 11 am. For flights from Europe, the connection time is too short (for us) to make sure I get to the Livingstone leg on the same day. This would mean a night in Joburg. Has anyone stayed at a hotel near the airport? Any recommendations?

Emily: If Tauck arranges the air, what route would be chosen?

Hi TravelGuy,

I spoke to our air department. When we book air, we do not pick specific routes, the airline system just populates the most efficient route form point A to point B with the service class ( 1st class, economy, etc...) that is selected.

Hope this helps,
    Emily
  • Emily:

How about an example. I know you can't book flights until 330 days in advance. So looking at flights for August 2014 is not possible. Would you please ask your travel desk this?

Say we take the "2014" tour this year in August meaning starting in Livingstone. How would Tauck route us on economy to Livingstone? Would it require an overnight in Joburg before the tour starts in order to make the connecting flight to Livingstone?
  • Emily:

Any response from your travel desk regarding my question about how would they route an economy flight from the US to Livingstone in August of this year?
  • Hi Travel Guy,

I will follow up with them again. I did ask them, but have not heard back. Will keep you posted.

Thanks,
    Emily
  • Hi,

We are flying business class on Delta from EWR to SA. Only a 2.5 hour layover in Amsterdam. Actually I think I will call Tauck b/c now I am concerned we won't make our connection.

Cheers!
  • Can we tell the air department what airlines we want and flights?
  • You are right, the distance is grueling. Got back yesterday. Was able to book Economy Comfort add on myself with Delta from Atlanta to Amsterdam. About $160 a ticket. Worth it (The first itinerary I rejected because of 8 hours layover - DURING THE DAY WHEN THE BED HOTELS ARE CLOSED - so I ended up with a 5 hour layover.) Very few seats on KLM to Capetown in Economy Comfort so we were unable to book Comfort and another long flight of 11 hours to Capetown. Felt crispy when we arrived.

On the way back we went from Jo'burg to Atlanta. 16 1/2 grueling hours. We think it was worse than our trips to China or Australia. I would seriously try to get a few days in between or pay for business class (very expensive). The food coming back on Delta was worse than horrendous.

The new itinerary ending in Cape Town should be better for the way you feel. Having 6 days in the delta/desert and then getting on a plane home did not appear to be a good experience for the bulk of the group that was with us.

Booked premier BIDVEST Lounges in Amsterday and Jo'Burg to help us get through the time waiting for planes. Well worth it.
  • edited May 2013
    pili wrote:
    Can we tell the air department what airlines we want and flights?

Hi There,

For South Africa, we have contracts with South African Airlines, Delta/ KLM and Emirates. The terms of the contracts are very specific, so if you have any deviations we can see if we can accommodate them. You can always call our Air Department at 1-800-788-7885 and they can help you.

Hope this helps,
    Emily
This discussion has been closed.