Options

Storage on riverboats - drawers vs hanging space

Hello,

I read in a Tauck river cruise review that there are only two drawers for storage. I also read in a different review that there is ample storage. I often bring my clothing on hangers as well as in extra large ziplock storage bags. If there are only two drawers, I will modify my packing approach. How many drawers are there and how large are they and how much hanging space is there?

Thank you for any assistance,
Kathy

Comments

• Options
    I remember 2 closets. one full length and one partial. with some shelves. Also some selves in another closet with the safe. It has been a few years but that is what I can remember. I was single traveler so put my suitcase in the tall closet that I did not nd. sharing room some put the suitcases under the bed.
  • Options
    Hi Kathy,

I put all my luggage, case & hand carries, under the bed. Like Crackers, I can't quite remember how many drawers there were, but I don't remember there being any shortage of wardrobe space. If you have booked one of the top deck suites you will have a walk in wardrobe with heaps of space. I have a fitted suitcase so I bring clothes on hangers, too. I think the space should work well for you.

Cheers,

Jan
  • Options
    jdurkin wrote:
    Hi Kathy,

I put all my luggage, case & hand carries, under the bed. Like Crackers, I can't quite remember how many drawers there were, but I don't remember there being any shortage of wardrobe space. If you have booked one of the top deck suites you will have a walk in wardrobe with heaps of space. I have a fitted suitcase so I bring clothes on hangers, too. I think the space should work well for you.

Cheers,

Jan
    You answered my questions before I had the opportunity to ask them. However, I have one more. What is a fitted suitcase? I never heard that term.Thanks
    Terri
  • Options
    Hi Terri,

That's easy! :) Some suitcases when you open them are just an empty shell ... an empty cardboard box, so to speak. Some cases have little net pockets along the inside edges and some also have a fold out, detachable ??? sleeve, I guess you'd call it, attached to the lid side of the case. You can slip in hangers with their clothes, close over zip-up net, fold the sleeve up and snap it into place. Makes for easy unpacking ... just slip out the folded clothes on their hangers. The wire ones work a treat. I remember older style cases with their own fixed hangers ... too restrictive. I prefer the fitted cases. They work better for long trips... 6-7 weeks of continuous travel, over a variety of destinations and climates. Helps me find things while on the road. Sort of! ;)

Just horses for courses and cases for different tasks. And I prefer to buy a case that might survive the horrors of US domestic travel for more than 1 trip. Yes, my experience is that US domestic air travel is hazardous to my luggage, more so than in other regions. For some tasks, those empty shell cases work really well. Just depends where ... and how I'm travelling.

Cheers,

Jan
  • Options
    Let's just if 2 people sharing a room does not have enough room to put away your clothes, probably over packed. I am determined this year on the 2 and 1/2 weeks in Italy to take a 21 inch and my rolling back pack. After my tour I am going to take a train on my own and watched a video of someone trying to drag a 25 in which I would have trouble keeping it to 50 lbs by the end of my trip onto the train. Let's just say not a pretty sight. I will be washing out my shirts and under clothes through out the trip and maybe wash my pants half way through if I need because of what I end up wearing.

While on the cruise you don't have a way of using a washing machine and the laundry on the ship is really expensive.
  • Options
    jdurkin wrote:
    Hi Terri,

That's easy! :) Some suitcases when you open them are just an empty shell ... an empty cardboard box, so to speak. Some cases have little net pockets along the inside edges and some also have a fold out, detachable ??? sleeve, I guess you'd call it, attached to the lid side of the case. You can slip in hangers with their clothes, close over zip-up net, fold the sleeve up and snap it into place. Makes for easy unpacking ... just slip out the folded clothes on their hangers. The wire ones work a treat. I remember older style cases with their own fixed hangers ... too restrictive. I prefer the fitted cases. They work better for long trips... 6-7 weeks of continuous travel, over a variety of destinations and climates. Helps me find things while on the road. Sort of! ;)

Just horses for courses and cases for different tasks. And I prefer to buy a case that might survive the horrors of US domestic travel for more than 1 trip. Yes, my experience is that US domestic air travel is hazardous to my luggage, more so than in other regions. For some tasks, those empty shell cases work really well. Just depends where ... and how I'm travelling.

Cheers,

Jan
    Got it. I just never heard it referred to as a fitted case. Thanks.
    Terri
This discussion has been closed.