Options

Home security while travelling

Hello everyone!

I am new here, but I was reading the forums for a while and already got inspired for a new trip. This time - the whole adventure - for 2 months or so. We are going to Europe all together (husband and 2 kids).

But I'm a little bit worried about leaving the house for so long. I have an idea to set up a video surveillance, so that we can monitor the house remotely. I made a google research and found out there are plenty of surveillance programs...As a non-tech, I got confused with the characteristics....really need an advice from someone who has done it already...

What camera to choose? IP? ANalog? Which software? ZoneMinders? Xeoma? iSpy? (they seem to be the most popular)

Any help is appreciated!!!

Thank you!

Comments

• Options
    Hi,

Its always an issue leaving home for a trip with the security you are putting into. Would be a lot better if there are CCTV's and camera you can access while your on the trip.

• Options
    yes, you need a cctv, that cctv must be connected with internet and you can use an app to control the cctv and can check the video any time. try to find some cctv and ios geek forums, i think you may find your need
  • Options
    Perhaps you are setting yourself up to have a miserable time on your trip, regardless of whether your home is invaded. If you are going to spend your trip watching your home on CCTV, wouldn't it be better to just stay home? With safe deposit boxes, private security firms, friends and neighbors, you should be able to obtain enough peace of mind to enjoy your time away from home.
  • Options
    Yep. Some people should stick to an armchair and a well-written travel guide. And a dvd?

Not everyone has the temperament for "going there". Don't even talk to me about the traumas of some domestic airports or airlines. I need to wear a metaphysical gag to survive the experience.

I am hoping the time when I can't "go there" is still a long way off.
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    There's nothing wrong with wanting to make sure your home is as secure as possible, especially when you're gone for that long. It takes seconds to check the feed occasionally. It certainly doesn't mean you're spending your trip only watching the CCTV. It's no different than having a friend check on the house occasionally.

When I go, I have a monitored security alarm and ask my neighbor to keep an eye on the house (make sure they have your contact info!). In fact, I usually ask that they just call my parents if something happens while I'm gone. If you don't have a neighbor nearby, though, or don't have one you can rely on, CCTV is a good option. Unfortunately, I haven't used it myself so I can't speak to specific brands.

I also place a couple of very expensive items in a safe deposit box while I'm gone.
  • Options
    I am sorry but I don't agree with Jans post. Security at home is always in my mind and I take up to 3 trips a year, not always with Tauck but a good number are. What I do is follow a check list that I have made up and when completed I know I am as secure as I can be so I no longer worry. I do have an alarm system on my house and have no trouble finding a friend who will look after checking the house as well. I give my friend their own personal pass code and advise the alarm company with my friends name and phone number, if the alarm goes off they are advised and along with police would check it out. I also provide my house sitter with phone numbers and policy numbers for my insurance company in a sealed envelope in case they need it. Insurance companies are very good at providing help and instructions if required. I provide phone numbers from with my travel company as to where I will be every day if it is really important to get hold of me. I provide phone numbers for family members even though they are not close by. I turn the water off at the source so I don't have to worry about leaks. Put timers on your lights so the house looks lived in and ensure mail and papers are picked up daily if possible. In the winter if in snow country arrange for snow removal and have someone drive on your driveway so it looks like some one is home. In Summer arrange for the lawn to be mowed. Lastly advise neighbours that you are away so everyone is watching you back then go and enjoy yourself. If something happens you will be covered by insurance so don't worry.
    One last piece of advise, if you have pets instead of sending them to a kennel see if you can get a pet sitter who will stay at your home. In our area this possible and costs the same as a kennel and your home is also secure, you leave the sealed info with them and give them a code.
    Gary
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    I'm sorry, Gary, but where did I say, or indeed imply, home security is not important?

What I did discuss was that at some point in time, possibly even multiple points in time, travel away from home may not be the best thing. For certain people. At certain times. Common sense, whether at home or away, is always a prudent thing. So is a smile.

Always look on the bright side of life. You might meet someone who owns the intellectual property to that. Wouldn't that be fun?

Cheers,

Jan
This discussion has been closed.