what to wear

We are taking the tour Sept 5th, would like tips from experienced Tauck travelers about what to wear on this trip. We'd like to pack as little as possible but should have appropriate wear for the diverse French venues.

Comments

• Peter and friends, I do hope your group includes women, as I have more experience with women's clothing. I've visited FRANCE twice, four weeks, this year throughout your tour area, but not in the Golfe du Morbihan. In Paris you can wear any color so long as it is black. The women who are not in spike heels, are wearing ballet shoes, or handsome boots,( native Parisians). As a female tourist I was fine in smart sport shoes or sandals, in leather, to allow for the walking in museums and the landing beaches. I packed 3 black trousers, dressy cotton or light wool, to wear repeatedly, and maybe 6 tops. The best top choices were rayon and spandex knits; and if they were black and white, people addressed me in French!! wow! Also you should always wear great silk or wool scarves. Pack a raincoat and a cardigan sweater. Your 5 star hotel will probably furnish an umbrella, certainly the Sofitel Paris Opera does. If you are careful to pack a few lightweight tops, you can discreetly wash one piece overnight, even in a upscale hotel. The laundry service is needed for trousers or men's button shirts.
    Do not take too many dressy clothes, you are not on a cruise. Women can look very fine with one sharp dress and ballet shoes and a knockout scarf or shawl. Men very often were wearing dark shirts in Paris. The men look Italian, whatever that means, very sharp, no tennis shoes, no khaki pants. Women will be thankful that they brought a crossbody purse. Yes, I know buying the designer bag in Paris is huge for some gals, but save that bag for the home crowd. You will be just astounded at the garments worn by tourists, even the Bateaux (farewell dinner) cruise gives tourists clothing suggestions, yet the French mostly dress like ladies and gentlemen all the time.
    One additional suggestion: practice saying bonjour, merci, and au revoir obsessively, say it to everyone. It is your best
    plan. The FRENCH love polite people.
    bon voyage, FRgal
  • Hi Peter,

Your journey is designed with leisure in mind. Dress for comfort and convenience with a wardrobe that is adaptable and allows for layering. Generally, during the day, casual, comfortable, cotton clothing is recommended. Cool weather at higher elevations or at night will require warmer, layered clothing.

In Europe, especially in finer restaurants, it is generally customary to dress somewhat formally. Slacks or a dress for women and a jacket for men are acceptable dining attire, but a sport jacket is not required. It is advisable to avoid wearing jeans, sneakers or shorts for dinner. You may also wish to dress up a bit for the welcome reception and the farewell dinner, but by all means be comfortable.

I hope this helps!

-Tim

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file