Options

Christmas Markets, Dec 6 2014 from Basel to Cologne - Questions

Hi, can anybody tell me exactly where the Tauck ports are in both cities. Before I leave myself wide open, I know they are on The Rhine. In Basel we will fly in some three days before so the actual location of the port is a must have. We will not be using the Tauck recommended hotel as we want to be in the Old City. Understand that there are a number of River Cruise anchorage places along the Basel waterfront but need exact location.

The same information is needed for the back end of our cruise as we have an additional four days in Cologne before flying back home.

Any and all information is very much appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    We did this cruise last December in the opposite direction.

There are never any guarantees about exactly where the ship will be docked...sometimes it can change at the last minute. That said, in Cologne we were docked within about 6 blocks or less from the cathedral (i.e., old city). In Basel, I can't be specific about the location (memory fails) but it was close to the central area where we stayed port-cruise. We made our own before and after lodging arrangements and, choosing central locations, both were convenient.

Even making your own per-cruise arrangements, you've got 2 options. Tauck is usually amenable to you transferring from your hotel to theirs the morning of embarkation and they'll transfer you from there or, usually easier, it'll be a short cab ride for anywhere you lodge in the central part of either city. Your TA can make the arrangements with Tauck if you want to meet them at their hotel. Your final documentation will provide port agent contact information (but not docking location because, as previously mentioned, this can change). Just call or have the concierge call the port agent and they'll have the precise docking location. Most cab drivers will also know which ships are where. Neither Cologne nor Basel is so large that this will be a problem in your are staying in the central area.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file