Options

Water in China and Minibar

Me again with my pre-pre-trip questions. I will be going on this tour next year and I would like to know about the water in China. Are there markets that sell bottled water next to the overnight hotels? What is the bottled water situation for the cruise portion of the trip? I just want to make sure since I've been hearing conflicting info regarding water in China from this forum and other forums. Others say that the bottled water provided by the hotel/cruise is sufficient, others say that its best to go out and purchase bottled water for rinsing your face and brushing your teeth. I wear contact lenses as well and I'm wondering if I should bring a bottle of saline solution from home or purchase them in China.

Another question is about the minibar. Would it be okay if I ask the front desk or concierge to clear the minibar so I can put my own stuff in the minibar? Some hotels in Europe were sensitive about this topic when I asked.

Thanks for your replies!

Comments

• Options
    edited September 2014
    We did this trip in May...it was great!

We had plenty of water: hotel, bus, tours. Never had to buy any. Used it for drinking, of course, and tooth brushing and, often forgotten, rinsing out the toothbrushes afterwards. We washed our faces with tap water. No problem doing this on many trips to developing regions using a wet, but not dripping washcloth. No more dangerous than showers. Just keep your mouth shut.

No direct experience with what you propose for the minibars. I think some may have been the automated type which I don't think can be unloaded, even by the hotel.
  • Options
    Thank you, Portolan! I hadn't even thought about rinsing my toothbrush before and after. Great that you mentioned it. I might have to practice closing my mouth while showering. As always, thanks for the great advice.

Were you able to take that Jews in Shanghai tour that everyone in this forum talks about? As I mentioned before, my trip is not till next year, but I'm always looking at ways of maximizing my time in China. Who knows when I will return to China after my trip.

• Options
    edited September 2014
    soun80 wrote:
    Thank you, Portolan! I hadn't even thought about rinsing my toothbrush before and after. Great that you mentioned it. I might have to practice closing my mouth while showering. As always, thanks for the great advice.

Were you able to take that Jews in Shanghai tour that everyone in this forum talks about? As I mentioned before, my trip is not till next year, but I'm always looking at ways of maximizing my time in China. Who knows when I will return to China after my trip.

Re: the toothbrush...what we did to not be too extravagant with bottled water is fill a glass with bottled water and pre-rinsed our toothbrushes. Since they were dry, not much "contamination" of the water. Then used the same glass of water post-brushing to rinse the brushes out. Or you could use two glasses. The funny thing is that for a couple of weeks after the trip I hesitated before brushing my teeth as usual at home!

One needs to be realistic. Licking your lips during a shower is unlikely to cause problems. Drinking many glasses of water purchased from a street vendor is likely to cause problems. It's not like one drop is fatal. The issue with produce (at non-tour venues) isn't so much that they may have been washed with local water, but what they were fertilized with.

Yes, we (actually Larry if you read the thread) got enough of a group together to take the tour and it was very interesting and worthwhile. Quite an amazing, little know story about where the Jewish exodus found refuge. It certainly added a unique aspect to our totally awesome China tour.
  • Options
    As always, Portolan, thanks!
  • Options
    We recently returned from this tour. It was both fascinating and lots of fun. You will never need to buy bottled water. It will be offered on every bus trip, and you can take as many as you wish. Every hotel has bottles of water provided in both the bathrooms and on bedside tables. If you run out, it will be provided for no extra charge. One only needs to ask. My husband stayed in the hotel room one day due to stomach issues, and I requested a couple of bottles for him for the day. They delivered 7 bottles of water.

We also took the Jewish Tour with Dvir, and it was outstanding. When we arrived in Beijing, I asked our Tour Director to make an announcement about the Jewish Tour to ask if anyone wanted to join the two of us. It was not hard to get a group of 8. I then confirmed the date with Dvir via email ( free wifi at every hotel) and all went off without a hitch.

Enjoy the trip.
  • Options
    Hi Irenen,

I'm glad you had such a great time on your trip!

-Tim
  • Options
    Hello Irenen,

Thanks for the tip about the water. Your reply along with Portolan's is reassuring for me. Glad to hear about your wonderful experience on tour as well as your review of Dvir's side tour. My tour won't be till 2015 but I can't wait!
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    One of the best of 9 Tauck trips I have taken. Water will be plentiful for you. Actually, you do not need a toothbrush, as every hotel provides one. But just in case bring one. I would bring a little saline. There will be a "knock-your-socks-off " dinner, so bring something nice to wear. Also thpse who took Jewish tour were very happy.
  • Options
    We had plenty of water: hotel, bus, tours. Never had to buy any. Used it for drinking, of course, and tooth brushing and, often forgotten, rinsing out the toothbrushes afterwards. We washed our faces with tap water. No problem doing this on many trips to developing regions using a wet, but not dripping washcloth. No more dangerous than showers. Just keep your mouth shut.

No direct experience with what you propose for the minibars. I think some may have been the automated type which I don't think can be unloaded, even by the hotel.
    This post is really interesting and Thanks for sharing this useful knowledge with us.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file