Options

Appropriate Shoes for Trip?

We will be going on the Canadian Rockies/Glacier National Park Tour at the end of August/beginning of September. We do not plan to do any heavy hiking, so I was only going to bring my tennis shoes and another pair of light weight walking shoes. Will this be sufficient or do I need to bring some warmer, water resistent shoes for this trip?

Comments

• Options
    Just home from this trip. I suggest a pair of sturdy lace ups, with decent ankle support. If this describes your tennis shoes ... then you're good to go! I don't think you need "real" hiker types if you're not planning to do any serious hiking. I don't think you need waterproof shoes, either. You just need to watch where you put your feet on the glacier. A second pair of walkers is always a good idea. I'm always amazed that "comfortable" shoes can give you trouble, despite being worn in!

And if you are not used to altitude, can I suggest you bring a walking pole or the strong arm of a companion who is Not troubled by altitude. You have a "little" up hill (by twice) walk on the first day in the park as you go between two short boat rides on the lake. It's not particularly strenuous in itself, but the first day at altitude can be a kicker if you are not used to it. Then, walking up hills can be surprisingly hard going. And it's amazing how hard a sympathetic arm can be to find amongst a group who Are used to altitude. They don't seem to understand.

Have fun!
This discussion has been closed.