Any recommendations for good Peking duck place near Waldorf Astoria in Beijing?

Hello "alumni" of this trip.

Can you recommend a great Peking (roasted) duck place near the Waldorf Astoria in Beijing? Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Duck de Chien (http://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g294212-d1082638-Reviews-Duck_de_Chine-Beijing.html). 5 minute walk from the WA. Recommended by our TD (Scott) and was a great meal/experience for us in May this year. Works best with more than 2 folks (duck to people ratio since there are a lot of side dishes), so maybe you'll have already met someone from the tour group, as we did.
  • soun80 wrote:
    Hello "alumni" of this trip.

Can you recommend a great Peking (roasted) duck place near the Waldorf Astoria in Beijing? Thanks in advance!

When we were there we went to Quien Ju De which is part of a chain of restaurants that only serve duck. It was recommended by a local and confirmed by our tour director. It was wonderful. Follow the great suggestion and convince your tourmates that Peking Duck is a better choice than one more dinner at your hotel restaurant.

We did not stay at the Waldorf, but we did stay just of the pedestrian mall (near the night market)that connects to Tianamen Square. There is a branch of the restaurant at one of the gates to Tianamen Square and another one a short distance from the pedestrian mall

Sherry
  • As always, Portolan, thanks for the tip. Shescha, thanks for your input.

I have a question. I've looked at some reviews on the internet from both places and I noticed that they encouraged people to "reserve" the duck 24 hrs. before. It that true? Thanks for your input.
  • soun80 wrote:
    As always, Portolan, thanks for the tip. Shescha, thanks for your input.

I have a question. I've looked at some reviews on the internet from both places and I noticed that they encouraged people to "reserve" the duck 24 hrs. before. It that true? Thanks for your input.

Spelling correction: "our" Peking Duck restaurant is QUAN JUDE. We went to the one on a street parallel to the Pedestrian Mall near the night market, not the one at the gate to Tianamen Sq. There is an elevator up to the restaurant that I believe occupies 3 stories and serves only duck dishes. We thought it was wonderful.

A funny story: 2 days before our Peking Duck meal we were on our own in Beijing and asked our concierge for a recommendation for a "local" lunch venue where we could have a noodle dish. We went to the recommended place in a huge mall and were seated in the back of an immense restaurant that definitely catered to the locals. We overheard an English conversation from some obviously American visitors and started to talk to them, a mother a son from the midwest, son was working in China and mom was visiting. We asked for Peking Duck suggestions and the son recommended Quan Jude. On one of our "dine in the hotel nights" we convinced 2 of our tour mates to opt out of the Tauck meal and to join us for Peking Duck at the recommended site. The two people in front of us on the line for the restaurant were the mother and son from the previous lunch. we invited them to join us for dinner, they did. The son recommended some dishes and we all enjoyed our meal.
    We did not have to make a pre-reservation request for the duck...In a restaurant that serves hundreds of duck per day there are always on hand. Enjoy, this is a wonderful trip. Sherry
  • soun80 wrote:
    As always, Portolan, thanks for the tip. Shescha, thanks for your input.

We didn't make a reservation 24 hours in advance. Our TD, Scott, made the arrangements 4 or so hours in advance. I'd suggest either asking the concierge or TD to help with this as soon as you get to Beijing to avoid disappointment if it happens to be a busy time.
  • another restaurant for peking duck is Da Dong, walking distance from Waldorf. Excellent. You don't have to order in advance but need to ale reservation as soon as you arrive. Highly recommended by hotel and it was great.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file