Mariposa Grove

I know Mariposa grove will be closed during our trip (July 4). Is there any chance of going to another grove instead of the trip to Glacier Point?? We really wanted to see the Sequoias! Thanks. Sandy

Comments

• The park website lists other groves on the webpage that discusses the closure:

http://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/mariposagrove.htm

If you go, you'll need to rent a car to get to any of these spots. Go early, parking is limited and the July 4 traffic in the valley should be horrendous!

I have to say, though, that Glacier Point is my number one favorite spot in the park. The view is unmatched anywhere (speaking as a thoroughly prejudiced son of California). If it were me, I'd skip the trees and see the view.
  • I can't argue with you about the grandeur of Glacier Point, Ken, but I have to say that the trees are a must see, too. Try really hard to see both, Sandy. On my last trip to Yosemite I opted to see Glacier Point. Sadly, that week the local fire people were burning off in the valley. Coming from Melbourne, I know the importance of that process, so I couldn't begrudge them. My photos from Glacier Point have an added je ne sais quoi, but nevertheless enigmatic touch about them. I'll just have to visit Yosemite again some time. That would be no hardship.

Cheers,

Jan
  • Another option would be to see Muir Woods while you're in San Francisco. Muir Woods is a redwood grove on the slopes of Mount Tamalpais in Marin County, just across the Golden Gate Bridge. These are coastal redwoods, so they're not as massive, but still impressive (coastal redwoods actually get taller, but aren't as massive at the base). There are tour companies that do trips from San Francisco (about 3 1/2 hrs for just Muir Woods). Or you could rent a car and drive to the top of Tamalpais as well for great views of the entire Bay Area.
  • "Big Trees" were the reason we signed up for the July 4 tour as well (and likely would have made different vacation plans had we been made aware of the grove closing). One thing we're thinking about is trying to get down to Nelder Grove as an alternative to Mariposa Grove the afternoon of Day 4 when its looks like we're scheduled to have the afternoon free at the hotel. Nelder appear to be maybe 15-20 miles south of the hotel...perhaps Tauck can help us make arrangements for the side trip or maybe we can try and coordinate a smaller group outing on our own?
  • Dave M wrote:
    "Big Trees" were the reason we signed up for the July 4 tour as well (and likely would have made different vacation plans had we been made aware of the grove closing). One thing we're thinking about is trying to get down to Nelder Grove as an alternative to Mariposa Grove the afternoon of Day 4 when its looks like we're scheduled to have the afternoon free at the hotel. Nelder appear to be maybe 15-20 miles south of the hotel...perhaps Tauck can help us make arrangements for the side trip or maybe we can try and coordinate a smaller group outing on our own?

Dave,
    Sounds like a great idea. Sandy
  • Traveling soon..........I am so disappointed the "the Mariposa Grove" is closed.....Tried to see it via horseback as suggested (from a distance) on the yosemite website.......Lodge and Tauck not very co-operative........... My 10th Tauck Tour...Yes, Tauck could have included Muir which for my grandson would have been "very big trees"...Going on our own

Grandma...6th trip with a grandchild

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file