Options

devices

Do you need electrical adapters and/or voltage converters in Australia or new Zealand?

Comments

• Options
    edited January 2016
    Although US voltage is different to many other countries' standards, it is highly unlikely that the sort of equipment you are travelling with ... cameras, laptop, tablet, phone ... will need voltage converters. But you will need adapter plugs to connect your plugs into a power source. (In Australia, we call those things ... holes in the wall that magically produce electricity "power points". Nothing to do with computer presentation software. Besides, that's a proper, Capital letter, noun. ;) ) You can buy adapter plugs at a travel goods or hardware supplier. Australia and New Zealand have the same type of plugs, so that makes it easier for you! You don't need to bring hairdryers ... use those provided! If you have dual voltage appliances ... travel iron, etc. you should just need the adapter plug. As always, do check the voltage of your appliance or device. We use 220.

Cheers,

Jan
  • Options
    edited January 2016
    Australia has a bit of a quirky arrangement for its electrical outlets/plugs. You can't use an adapter that works in Europe, or in the middle-east (The one you brought on your last trip to Italy, or even to England, won't work). Amazon has a number of adapters for use in Australia available cheaply, one of which is shown at:
    http://tinyurl.com/jtxlpjk

- or -

at Magellans.com (among many other places):
    http://tinyurl.com/jpjcaks

(You may have to cut and paste the links into your Browser's address line)

As jdurkin indicated, it's unlikely you'll need a voltage converter (heavy and a pain to pack) - but check! I fried a Palm Pilot in Ireland a number of years ago because I assumed it had dual voltage input capability. It didn't. :-(
  • Options
    edited January 2016
    Wallaroo wrote:
    Australia has a bit of a quirky arrangement for its electrical outlets/plugs. You can't use an adapter that works in Europe, or in the middle-east. I fried a Palm Pilot in Ireland a number of years ago because I assumed it had dual voltage input capability. It didn't. :-
    Yes, we are quirky. Just as quirky as every other country with their own standards. I assume you haven't been to the UK ... they have a doozie of a plug. You will generally see that the style of plug used in different places reflects the political history of that country or region. Which imperial power wrote the rule book. Just look at a world map of plugs!

The world doesn't beat to the one drum. That would be so boring. Assume nothing. Always check. The internet makes that so much easier than when I first started travelling!

The link you provide didn't work for me, but I cut and pasted into my browser. The amazon page that pops up is, I think, very confusing for a novice traveller. We only have 1 style of plug. If you look here, you will see the wall socket and the style of plug ... and therefore the adapter ... you will need for Australia & New Zealand.

https://www.tripadvisor.com.au/Travel-g255055-c120179/Australia:Power.And.Appliances.html

Armed with these images, you can sift through the plethora of plugs offered on the amazon page to find an adaptor that works for you .... a single, double or universal. Why not consider bringing one of your own multiple outlet boards and just one Australian adapter plug. Charge multiple devices from the one "plug". If you search through these Forums you will find some very useful posts on this topic. I think the poster was Alan and as one of your own, you might be more comfortable with his posts.
  • Options
    We used universal adapters that we bought on Amazon. European and Asian adapters do not work. Also, many of the hotels provide adapters in their rooms.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file