Options

D-Day Excursion questions, Le Havre

I see that the boat makes it to Le Havre, which is farther than some of the other lines.

But all I see for the D-Day beach day is a trip to Omaha and Gold beaches, no option for Juno Beach. Nor is there apparently an option for those who have no wish to see the D-Day sites, nor is there an option to see the Bayeux Tapestry anywhere.

Could anyone who has done this trip confirm all this for me?

Comments

• Options
    You are spot on. Only US beaches and no Bayeux. (Even though you can see the town steeples from the beaches.) I inquired well ahead of my trip if it was possible for me to see Bayeux, but was told "absolutely not." No deviation from the US centric programme was possible. If you can possibly do it ... maybe you are travelling with friends ... arrange a private tour. They will collect you at the boat and have you back in good time. The cost for one person travelling alone was just too over the top for me, so I stayed on board. I spent a pleasant enough day with a semi-private lunch in the lounges. That was delicious ... but I was terribly disappointed. Because I was paying attention, I saw a party of four (Canadians as it turned out) take the very trip I have described. I would have gladly paid a good share of the cost had I known. My advice is to plan your own trip ahead of time, then check with Tauck directly for details of time, etc., then finalise your day tour. It was apparent that the Cruise Director was co-ordinating the private tour. The Canadian group later told me they added Bayeux to their trip "on the trot" because they had time and it is ... "just there". I'm sure you could arrange your day trip to your liking. I hope you manage it!

Cheers,

Jan

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file