Options

Power Adapters

Hi,

We're taking the Blue Danube river cruise starting July 9, and are planning for it now. One thing that's not clear is what electric outlets are provided in the room.

I know that the boat has 220 volt power. The Tauck representative told me that to use our electrical devices (e.g. phone battery chargers) the devices need to work with 220 volts (they do) and we need an electrical adapter. She said that the adapter we need should have either 2 or 3 round prongs (didn't know which) to plug into the boat's outlets. She had no specific information (type, prong diameter, length, & spacing, etc.) to identify the exact adapter.

When I look around the web I see 2 prong adapters, but no 3 prong adapters. Here's a link to a "Shuko" 2 prong adapter that looks like it might be the right thing: http://www.amazon.com/American-European-Schuko-Outlet-Adapter/dp/B0038L54ZO

Does anyone know if I need 2 or 3 prongs? Should a "Shuko" adapter like this one work?

Also, when we traveled to Italy we found that the hotel rooms had very few outlets of varying and unpredictable type. We often ended up with phone chargers on the floor by the door or in the bath room. Do the rooms have a reasonable number of outlets that are reasonably positioned?

Thanks,
Mike

Comments

• Options
    Take a look at Destination Information on this site for your Blue Danube cruise. It says:

Electrical Current – All hotel and riverboat cabins are equipped with 220 V, 50 Hz, alternating electrical current that accommodates standard European plugs with two round prongs. The riverboat cabins are also equipped with a 110 V outlet for shavers. If you bring an electrical device that is not compatible with these electric currents and their associated outlets, you should bring the appropriate adapters and converters. The riverboat has a few adapters available for rent.

We took this cruise a few years ago. We loved it - especially with a sport coat!
  • Options
    With the exception of the shaver outlet all are standard 2 European round prongs. Most electronic items have a built in converters, read the info stamped on them. They just need adapters. You'll need a converter for other items. If it is a high watt appliance like a curling iron, you'll need an larger converter or one that can handle both low and high watt devices (Radio Shack sells one for about $45).
  • Options
    TravelGuy wrote:
    Take a look at Destination Information on this site for your Blue Danube cruise. It says:

Electrical Current – All hotel and riverboat cabins are equipped with 220 V, 50 Hz, alternating electrical current that accommodates standard European plugs with two round prongs. The riverboat cabins are also equipped with a 110 V outlet for shavers. If you bring an electrical device that is not compatible with these electric currents and their associated outlets, you should bring the appropriate adapters and converters. The riverboat has a few adapters available for rent.

We took this cruise a few years ago. We loved it - especially with a sport coat!
  • Options
    "We took this cruise a few years ago. We loved it - especially with a sport coat!" ?????????
    Yo, TravelGuy---
    Our trip begins Aug 11--I guess it's a good thing I'm planning on taking a sport coat.
    Does it matter what color?

• Options
    No.
  • Options
    We just got back. What a fantastic trip.

The a "Shuko" 2 prong adapter is what's needed. There are outlets above the night tables on each side of the bed, in the bathroom, and over the table (this in a suite, room 303). My daughter's hair dryer could only be used at low power, but otherwise there were no power problems.

Mike
This discussion has been closed.