Hepatitis A and Typhoid vaccinations?

The CDC recommends Hepatitis A and Typhoid vaccinations for travel to Panama and Costa Rica by cruise ship. Is this really necessary since we will be shipboard most days? Do travelers on this trip typically get these vaccinations? Thanks.

Comments

• Did this wonderful trip last year and didn't get either vaccination & never felt that they were needed. You will have bottled water provided by Tauck everywhere you go and the food on the ship is wonderful!! When not on the ship you'll be eating and staying at very nice places. We went out on our own also in Panama and never had a concern or problem. If you have never been to Panama City you will be surprised and impressed!! I would say not to worry about getting the vaccinations. You will not be on a huge ship with hundreds of people. Anywhere you go with Tauck you will be in good hands.
  • Disagree with comments about not getting these vaccines, why take chances, you'll also be set for other trips then.
  • British wrote:
    Disagree with comments about not getting these vaccines, why take chances, you'll also be set for other trips then.

Couldn't agree more. You don't plan to skin your knee near a puddle of "questionable" water, do you? It's the things outside the circle that cause the problems. The Tauck bubble of confidence isn't a force of nature. Although, I do wonder sometimes. Much better to be prepared … for this adventure and the next, and the next after that.

Cheers,

Jan

• If you fall and injury your knee the above indicated vaccinations may not be helpful. In that event you probably needed to also get a Tdap. BTW, we have did all vaccinations, and the tdap but, don't believe anything other than the tdap was really needed and most people did not get any of them. We did, for a cost of about $350.00 pp, but we understand that if you are with Kaiser, then no charge. If I were going to recommend anything highly it would be the Tdap.
  • PS Correction: My husband did not get the vaccinations for the Panama Costa Rica trip. I had had them 9yrs before. We are now going to South America and my vaccinations are still good. Husband got a yellow fever and tdap for this trip. Again, most people we traveled with had not gotten the vaccinations. But, if you are going to travel and not mind the cost and want to be well prepared as a traveler, then sure get the vaccinations. BTW, with the Hep A you need to get a second vaccination six months after the first for on going protection.
  • The bottom line is, you don't want to become sick, no matter how it happens … because you did not follow basic health precautions. The how you contract something is somewhat immaterial after the event! Whatever it is, you have it. No point crying over spilt water! If you travel anywhere in the world, away from your home base, pre-travel and on-going health care & awareness has to be basic. As basic as paying for your flights. You wouldn't fly on a plane, knowingly, if they didn't have enough fuel on board to reach your destination, would you? If you plan to travel, health advice, from a medical professional who is aware of your personal situation, is basic. Then take that professional advice. If you don't want to do that, perhaps because you have a moral stance against 21st C medicine, well, then, it is, perhaps, better not to travel at all.

Please understand, I am not making any moral judgement against those who refuse modern medicine. But I am free not to agree with you.

Many readers of this forum do not reside in the United States and consequently have no idea what Kaiser is. In this case I can honestly say ignorance (of Kaiser) is bliss.

And think of the bright side. Yellow fever shots, for example, last 10 years. Just imagine all the great places you can go to get your money's worth in that time!

Cheers,

Jan
  • Hello to Jan and Linda, more info. Linda, hep A is given to US babies as part of their routine vaccinations, so I am assuming Hep A is a risk even in the USA. Looked Kaiser up and see it is a health care scheme. Maybe you have been going to special Travel clinics that is where we went at first and they do overcharge for injections and meds, for example, I believe we were charged about $10 per malaria pill once. Now we go to our regular family Dr and he prescribes our travel meds or does the injections. For our upcoming travel we got our Cipro and Malaria pills for our copayment which is $15 each. Anyway, I have known of people dying of even Hep A in the past. Yesterday I heard an interview with Rebel Wilson, she mentioned she got malaria in Africa and was very ill, in fact almost died.I have been to Costa Rica twice with Tauck, but not the Panama Canal trip. I want to do that one day and I understand there are many included land excursions on that trip. Anyway, I am with Jan, my life is worth more than $350. I guarantee that if this is your first Tauck tour it will not be your last and you will be glad of having any vaccinations already under your belt for them. We save for these trips and cut corners elsewhere to be able to afford to do it, but not on our health. Best wishes, hey Jan, maybe we will meet on a tour!
  • An ounce of prevention is better than a pound of cure. People spend thousands of dollars on a trip and quibble about a few bucks for prevention I don't get. Malaria and Hep A is a lifelong problem (if you survive). Don't take a chance IMO.
  • British wrote:
    hey Jan, maybe we will meet on a tour!
    Good thinking, 99! I'll be the Aussie woman, travelling solo. The one with independent thoughts and opinions. Let's share some over a coffee, tea or bovril … depending where in the world we are, of course. On the other hand, perhaps the wisest course would be something where boiling water, as a skill and major component in the beverage, is not an issue. Probably why G&T or malt was invented? And bring the better half, too. We can share war stories. ;)

Cheers,

Jan

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file