Enough time in Copenhagen?

I am taking the Tauck Scandinavia tour in July, 2014. The tour includes only one and one half days in Copenhagen. Is this enough to get a good feel of the city? I am thinking of returning there from Bergin at the end of the tour.

Comments

• Although I haven't traveled to Copenhagen with Tauck, I have traveled there twice, once in 1971 and once in 1983. I thoroughly enjoyed myself both times. It may be different now, but on my first visit I spent about 4 days in the city (it was summertime and Tivoli was open then). On my second visit, 12 years later, I spent about 2 to 3 days in the city. I'm sure that there is probably more to do/see these days there than just a day and a half will allow. You might do some research online and see if it would be worthwhile spending more time there.
  • Hi Jaznapoli,

When you first arrive in Copenhagen, you'll have some of the afternoon and evening at leisure. The next morning you'll have a walking tour of the city, and the afternoon and evening at leisure again. It won't be quite enough time to see everything the city has to offer, but you should have plenty of time to walk around and get a feel for the place. You can always ask your tour director for ideas about things to do and places to go.

I hope this helps!

-Tim

• edited January 2014
    Hi jaznapoli,

If you have time to return to Copenhagen from Bergen, that would be excellent. Copenhagen is a wonderful, sophisticated city. There's a lot to see and do just in the city centre. No visit to Copenhagen would be complete without a visit to the Royal Copenhagen Porcelain flagship store, with the Georg Jensen store close by. Even if you can refrain from selecting something gorgeous from the Royal Copenhagen main store, you might find something in the factory outlet, or just ogle the delights in the museum. As for Georg's fine baubles … sigh. One has only so many fingers, ears, arms…..

And of course, when you pass the Palace, you need to think about the future Queen of Denmark … a lovely Tasmanian girl. The Crown Prince would naturally only choose a perfect lass. As one Danish friend explained it to me …"We are delighted to have a well-educated, Australian commoner as our future Queen. Much better than an impoverished European royal!"

Cheers,

Jan
  • We are scheduled on the July 6 trip from Copenhagen. We are arriving 2 days early and have decided to buy two Copenhagen Cards (Copenhagencard.com) for the days before the tour. It gives you free access to just about everything you might want to see there.
  • Don't forget to leave time, and room, for the delights of smørrebrød, Peter. Danish food is delicious.

Cheers,

Jan
  • jaznapoli wrote:
    I am taking the Tauck Scandinavia tour in July, 2014. The tour includes only one and one half days in Copenhagen. Is this enough to get a good feel of the city? I am thinking of returning there from Bergin at the end of the tour.

I returned from this tour of St. Petersburg and the Baltic in May. During the city tour with Tauck, we stood among the buildings of Ameilienborg Palace and learned about the Royal Family. We also stopped at the Little Mermaid statue and then had a brief tour of Rosenborg Palace where we saw the Crown Jewels.

The tour ended near Tivoli where we were given an entrance ticket. We saved it for later in the day as it was early afternoon. We walked into the Glyptotek Art Museum and then down to the Danish National Museum. We only saw the highlights of both of these places and could have spent more time in either one. We mainly wanted to see the Viking Runes in the National Museum.

We returned to Tivoli where we chose to have dinner. There are a number of restaurants within the park. We ate in the Italian one.

We did spend an extra day where we walked through the Amelienborg Palace and took a canal boat ride.

We walked all over Copenhagen as it is a walkable city. I greatly enjoyed this entire tour and would recommend it to anyone..

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file