Electronic Adapter vs Converter

Tauck states that one may need a converter for the Argentine hotel but my question is about the electrical plug on the Boreal. Will I need an adapter or is the plug the same as in the US? Thanks for the help. We will be aboard the Jan 29-Feb 10 sailing.


  • I was on LeBoreal last year when it sailed to Iceland. There was a plug for US, if I remember correctly (I may be mistaking LeBoreal for the riverboat) but I basically used an adapter and the 220 outlet. If you check your electronic devices, most say that they are ready for either 110/220 or 240. You will need only an adapter so you can plug it into the outlet. Adapters can be purchased anywhere there are travel supplies and they cost very little. I was told that basically only a hairdryer and possibly an electric razor are not compatible for the higher electrical units and then a converter would be needed. I hope that this answers your question.
  • More and more electronics take both 110/220. I travel quite a bit and no longer take a converter. Most hotels now provide a hair dryer. I have a dual voltage curling iron and hand steamer. My iPhone/iPad charger, my camera battery charger, my Kindle charger and my laptop charger are all good for both 110/220. Check the electronics you wish to take. You may not need a converter at all.

    You will need a plug adapter. I have a couple of multi-purpose plug adapters that can accommodate the different plugs found around the world. I have two of these and on both the US type plug tines rotate to an angle for S. American/Australian outlets. I also travel with a Monster MP OTG400 BK Outlets To Go 4 Outlet Travel Power Strip so that I can plug one adapter into the wall outlet and then plug in four of my electronic devices into the power strip. Sometimes finding an available outlet in a hotel room can be challenging and this gives one the option to be charging the camera battery, two phones and the laptop through one wall outlet.
  • When we were in Peru, they hotels all used European rounded prongs. On the Tauck Riverboat I was on there was one for US and one for European. I bought a bunch of European adapters online...very cheap.
  • I was surprise on my recent trip to Antarctica that the hotel in B.A. and the ship both had 110v and spoke English every where. In fact, when I would use a few words in Spanish, they would respond in English because it was their way of being respectful to us. I always bring an short extension cord with me and plug into a 110V or converter and that works great for multiple 110V plug-ins. Never had a problem with over-loads.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file