Options

Visiting temples in India

I have had heel spurs and am not comfortable without shoes. May i slip a sock over my street shoes to enter the temples in India?

Comments

• Options
    Lex wrote:
    I have had heel spurs and am not comfortable without shoes. May i slip a sock over my street shoes to enter the temples in India?
    Yes you can
  • Options
    We went last October and there is only one place where one needs to remove shoes and at that stop Tauck supply suitable slippers for the group to use.
    Richard
  • Options
    Don’t wear shorts, tank tops, see-through dresses or short skirts. Do wear long trousers or skirts, shirts with long sleeves and/or (women) maybe a scarf over your shoulders. All India guidebooks have devoted several pages to describing appropriate dress code for visiting holy places in India, yet almost every time I’ve visited temples in India there has been a foreigner in shorts or a little top, completely oblivious to the disapproving stares and gestures from temple visitors. It really is not ok to go into holy places in India in beach clothes.
  • Options
    For the temples you will see on this tour, only at a few of them do you need to take your shoes off, and you can wear socks (bring or wear them) or go barefoot. At the Taj Mahal they will give you some throw-away booties to cover your shoes so you do not need to take shoes off at the Taj.
  • Options
    Whether anyone is visiting a temple as a devotee or as a tourist, one should know how to conduct themselves at the holy premises. it is good if you leave your footwear outside the temple.
  • Options
    We are on day 8 of the tour, if you do not go into the temples, which are often open sided, you do not need to take your shoes off, the Indians do not. In the Taj, Tauck provide us with paper booties and other people were wearing them too.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file