England Scotland and Wales - August 10th

I know it's a bit early to start a "roll-call thread but I might as well ask is anyone else that reads these boards going with us on this fully booked small group tour that starts on August 10th? There I got that out of the way.

The real reason for opening this thread was to satisify the curiousity of "she who must be obeyed". Can anyone who did this tour during the Edinburgh Military Tattoo tell me in what section Tauck seats its guests. You can make me a genius in herself's eyes if I can come up with this information. Just under 6 months to go BUT I'm not counting

Comments

• edited February 2014
    If you were at a football game you would be on the side line of the end zone. You would be looking downfield to the other end zone where the Queen's Box is located. Hope that makes sense. Very good seats. I am not sure there is a bad one in the arena. It is very small (maybe 10,000 people) and cozy. Activity is all over the esplanade, so you'll see everything.
  • My travel agent had told me that Tauck reserves the best seats, but I did not find that to be the case. Our seats were in Section 11, which is in a corner so one gets an angled view of the field. I was slightly disappointed in the view angle, but still very much enjoyed the event. The "best" seats would have been just £10 more, so I'm not sure why Tauck does not reserve them. Perhaps they are not available to tour groups (at least on weekends). On the whole the Tattoo is a great event, and it is not to be missed!
  • Thanks for the quick replies. Other than having to work out where the end zone was (just kidding) I can now reasonably confidently show herself roughly where we'll be sitting. I've wanted to be at the Tattoo for many, many years and I would sit in the bleachers to watch and listen. Again many thanks for your help.
  • As long as it doesn't snow! (Sorry, Rod. ;)) I don't really want it to snow, or rain, on your parade. And nothing gets the Celtic blood going like the swirl of the pipes. But what will you watch on the TV at Christmas this year?

I'm sure you will have a stunning evening.

Cheers,

Jan

PS. I'd be looking up the Royal box as a point of reference. I don't know enough about that kind of football! :))
  • I went on a non-Tauck tour of Scotland in August 2012, and I can tell you that the Military Tattoo was the highlight of the tour (for me). What a great experience!

We were lucky because the drizzle (it rains a lot in Scotland, but don't let that deter you) stopped just as the show began. It was awesome!

I don't mean to keep posting my travel photos, but I thought you might want to see Scotland through my eyes back in 2012. I'm sure your experience will be unforgettable. What a gorgeous land!

https://picasaweb.google.com/115520979706388828246/52Scotland812

Sergio
  • Our seats were "in the corner" but they were fine. Certainly not worth complaining about--even by Tauck standards. The esplanade is small and very comfortable. You'll have a great time.

I was talking about "football," not "futball."
  • ndvb wrote:
    Our seats were "in the corner" but they were fine. Certainly not worth complaining about--even by Tauck standards. The esplanade is small and very comfortable. You'll have a great time.

Well said. As an Aussie I don't watch much of either, I've always been a Rugby League fan when it comes to "Football". Herself is now content knowing where Tauck usually seats its guests and Jan even if it was snowing I'll still get a kick out of "being there". As for wathching it on TV next December I'll probably keep interupting with "That's where we were seated - see there's Mum in her snow outfit ... Lol".

Boy it's been hard to get on to the forums recently down here. I let the IT team know about the problems but the fixes only seem to be tempory.

Roll on August.

Rod
  • ndvb wrote:

Huh? Oh, you have to say it out loud! :))))))))) Now I get it … except I don't. Don't know anything about that kind, either. I know a wee bit about soccer and a wee bit more about Australian Rules … but not so much that you'd notice! :)))))))))))

Cheers,

Jan
  • edited February 2014
    [quote=OzJohnno
    Boy it's been hard to get on to the forums recently down here. I let the IT team know about the problems but the fixes only seem to be tempory.
    [/quote]

It sure has, Rod. Now it appears to be the Forums home page that wants to choose when to load, or not! It sure takes persistence. Argh!

I will certainly be keeping an eye out for Herself in her snow suit. In appropriate colours, of course? ;) Are you doing this trip before or after you go cruising?

Cheers,

Jan
  • We do this tour first Jan then after an extra day in London we're taking the Chunnel train to Paris to join the cruise which starts on August 25th. This waiting is the real hard part.

Rod
  • Aww….. we're on different trips. Perhaps we can wave at each other across the water….. Agreed, waiting is hard.

Cheers,

Jan

• I don't mean to keep posting my travel photos, but I thought you might want to see Scotland through my eyes back in 2012. I'm sure your experience will be unforgettable. What a gorgeous land!

So glad you posted the link, Sergio. The shots brought back some lovely memories of a long-ago visit. And a great teaser for Rod et al.

Cheers,

Jan
  • edited February 2014
    I like watching Australian Rules Football too...I don't know anything about it, but I like it. Kind of like James Thurber who said, "I don't much about art, but I know what I like." Futbol, on the other hand, I only watch as a sedative for insomnia. I have the same viewing pattern for soccer as I do for basketball....I tune in the last two minutes and if it is close I continue to watch...if it is a blowout (which in soccer could be 1-0) I change the channel.
  • I'm off to futbol territory at the end of the month. I've never been to the South Island of NZ before, but I do know that the further south you get the stronger the ecksent. ;))

Cheers,

Jan

PS I love the James Thurber story about the games table that converted into an ironing board. Something went wrong, inexplicably, and the thing could be heard in the attic on dark and stormy nights …. thump, flap, crash, thump, flap, crash …… ad infinitum…..
  • Drink something with caffeine so you can stay awake during the futbol game....
  • You know, I think I'd much rather go for a wee drop of the doings. Who wants to stay awake for futbol?

Cheers,

Jan

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file