Paris restaurants

We always like to eat at restaurants where the locals, not tourists, eat. Recommendations from anyone for Paris?

Comments

• We were in Paris for a few nights before our Waterways and Vineyards tour in 2012. The first night, I asked the concierge at the Hilton Arc de Triomphe hotel (now the The Hotel du Collectionneur Arc de Triomphe) where we could get a good, casual meal. He called a small restaurant just a few blocks away . . . Le Riva. As recommended by the concierge, we were seated inside next to almost floor to ceiling open windows. It gave us the feeling of being outside without the smoke (just a note . . . eating outside in Paris means lots of smokers!). The food and wine (and prices) at Le Riva was wonderful. So good, that we went back a second time.
  • edited January 2014
    Thanks Rabo. I put that on our list.

Brad & Jan
  • Perk wrote:
    We always like to eat at restaurants where the locals, not tourists, eat. Recommendations from anyone for Paris?
    One of our favorite restaurants in Paris is The Grand Colbert ( 2 Rue Vivienne).
    The entire menu is outstanding but the chicken dish is the best. Last November we were there with a group of eight and all eight people were raved about their meals.
    If you saw the movie " Something's Gotta Give" with Jack Nicholson and Diane Keaton, this is the restaurant that one of the final scenes takes place at. (Sometimes you are able to sit at that table).
    Having said that, go there for the food not the history.
    John
  • Well, my reference has to be weighed (pun intended) depending on whether one considers ice cream a proper and legitimate food item or an indulgence....

But EITHER WAY, I highly recommend the ice cream at Berthillon, on the Ile St. Louis, which is located behind Notre Dame Cathedral.

I always pay a visit (or is it a pilgrimage?) to Berthillon whenever I'm in Paris. The ice cream is delicious, and it comes in many flavors, all hand-made and sinful. I'm partial to vanilla and chocolate, but there are many other flavors and some unusual ones.

The parlor is small and crowded, but don't let that deter you. Berthillon ice cream is sold in other establishments in the neighborhood, but I prefer to patronize the original small store. They also sell ice cream "to go".

Sergio
  • Well, my reference has to be weighed (pun intended) depending on whether one considers ice cream a proper and legitimate food item or an indulgence....
    Definitely a major food group.
  • Especially if it has chocolate or chocolate candy!!!

Actually, even though I am not very enthusiastic about Paris, there are so many excellent restaurants in Paris that you shouldn't have any problems finding a great place to eat. I like the sidewalk seating for people watching (but, smoking is an issue out there!! I have always been tempted to open a smoke shop in almost any European city. They just seem to smoke like chimneys. Has to be big bucks in that business.) Just make sure you sit up wind and hope it doesn't change. I just think sitting outside and eating is preferable in most large cities in Europe...weather permitting.
  • As it happens, on my only visit to Paris, we stayed in a small and very French hotel where Oscar Wilde had stayed and did not pay his bill! We asked about somewhere to eat, it was only early evening but we were tired and wanted an early night after a long journey . Of course the desk clerk looked at us with disgust but directed us to a restaurant just a very short walk away, and it was the Grand Colbert. I thought It looked familiar and when we got home we re-watched the movie. I have visited many other areas of France, probably totaling about fourteen weeks in time in total and I have never had a bad meal, whether it be the simple Plat Du Jour or something more grand, I don't think you can go wrong in France, a bad restaurant would not survive.
  • edited May 2014
    Thanks for all the restaurant recommendations, everybody! Perk, I hope you have a fantastic time on your trip.

-Tim

P.S.: I wouldn't consider ice cream a major food group. For me, it would be cookies. Particularly chocolate peanut butter chip cookies. :)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file