Floods again in Eastern Europe

Scheduled for the Bucharest to Budapest riverboat on June 27. Concerned about the flooding and especially the aftermath. News is not good with the whole area digging out from the mess. Wondering what will Tauck do? Early cancellation of this trip would help vs. last minute decision.

Comments

• Stu,

I am scheduled for the same trip but hadn't heard about flooding this year. I was scheduled to go last year and trip was cancelled the day before I was due to leave. I guess they were waiting to see if it cleared up. Last year they sent updates every few days. I guess we will just have to wait to see how long it lasts. I do hope I don't get cancelled again!

Glad to see someone else is on this trip. I was beginning to wonder.

Sue
  • Stu,

I checked this out and it appears that the flooding is not on the Danube and not in an area where we are scheduled to be.

I would not think that the flooding should affect our trip.

Hope to see you on June 27.

Sue
  • Hi Sue,

If your trip was in jeopardy, Tauck would be in touch with you directly. As you know, it is not the Danube that was affected, however when the flood peak along the Sava River reached the Danube there might have problems. The authorities seem to have managed that situation. I haven't heard anything to the contrary.

In other words, don't panic! Tauck will have Plan B, C and probably D in the works, anyway.

Cheers,

Jan
  • As nerve racking as it is you will not know anything this far out for your start days. Last year most of the trips that were cancelled happened real close the day of leaving. Only a few cancelled earlier and that seemed mostly do to damage to the locks from the high waters. Good luck.
  • I don't know about the flooding, but it appears there has been a lot of rain in Central Europe. I've been watching the forecasts for the German and Austrian Alps and they haven't been good. We leave in two weeks for the Alps and Dolomites and I hope there is a sudden and drastic change in the weather. Weather Underground provides a two week look-ahead, so from now on I'll be seeing forecasts for our actual tour dates. The satellite weather picture doesn't look good either and seems to back up the forecast.
  • I guess we'll just have to wait and see if the weather/flooding improves.
    Sue-I'm sure the boat is filled.
  • Stu, I know the boat is just about filled but you and I are the only ones who have been on this site.

I arrive a day early and plan to take the on/off bus on Friday to see the sights.

I am from Chicago. Where do you live and when do you arrive?

Sue
  • We arrive on the 25th but around midnight after a full night and day of flying. We're in Scottsdale, AZ. No plans yet as we have discovered that the first day is really difficult due to the time change and travel time. Given good weather the trip should be o.k. It's 5th riverboat trip with Tauck. All have been really great!
    Stu
  • I noticed that Tauck cancelled the eastbound cruise (Amsterdam-Bucharest). How does the boat get down to Bucharest for the westbound trip beginning June 27th?
  • How did you find out that Tauck cancelled the Eastbound Cruise (Amsterdam to Bucharest)? I am scheduled to go on the June 8th departure for that eastbound trip. Which departure date got cancelled?
  • Plinio,

Both websites you list apply to last year's flooding. They are dated June 2013.

Sue
  • Reny wrote:
    How did you find out that Tauck cancelled the Eastbound Cruise (Amsterdam to Bucharest)? I am scheduled to go on the June 8th departure for that eastbound trip. Which departure date got cancelled?

If Tauck has cancelled a tour there would be an alert posted on the homepage. Last year during the flooding, they would posting updates periodically as well as notifying the people who had booked the tours. There is nothing posted. Additionally, if they were cancelling a tour, you would receive a phone call or letter telling you that.
  • Oops!! Sorry. I neglected to see the date! Thanks, Sue. We're also booked on the June 27th departure; hope to see you there.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file