How to pack...

We are going on Peru and Galapagos Trip July1st. Can anyone give us some ideas as to what size luggage we should bring? Did anyone do this with just a rolling carry on and a backpack? Did anyone have problems with lost luggage? With all the flights involved does the group have to wait as a whole for everyone to get checked under plane luggage? I really would love some guidance before I get some new luggage..Thanks...

Comments

• We are also going on this trip, starting July 1st! I am also interested in what to pack for the colder weather in the mountains.
  • Go to the trip page for your tour and open up the Before You Go tab. There is a very detailed description about luggage for this tour including that you will be. Provided with a duffel bag for part of the trip. You will also see a clothing and weather tab too.
  • Thank you British. I have read all the information provided, but I am still wondering about the Machu Picchu part of the trip. What type of jacket or do you layer with long underwear, etc for the early sunrise? Also, do you know if they have snorkle equipment for a small 10 year old? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
  • Sorry, did not do Machu Picchu part of this trip, my husband gets altitude problems even though he is very fit.
    They will probably have snorkels to fit your ten year old since they do Bridges trips, but call Tauck to check
  • First, you ask about clothing for Machu Picchu...we were there in March, and it was rainy but not particularly cold. I can't imagine it will be that much cooler when you will be going. You probably don't have to worry about the rain. Actually, Machu Picchu is at a lower elevation than Cusco. We took long pants, tee shirts (long sleeved), a sweater, and our go-to North Face shells that protect against wind and rain. If the sun was out, we peeled them off. The second day we did quite a bit of exploring the ruins at 6 am, as soon as the gates opened, and it was sort of foggy and cool then (absolutely stunning for photography), and even then none of us were cold. In fact, once you begin to wander around, you heat up quickly. I am not quite sure where you got the message on long underwear, but, in our case, that would have been overkill! Once you get to Guayaquil, you do a big switcheroo in clothing and luggage, leaving extra luggage and clothes at the hotel, so you don't have to schlep all of those warmer things with you. This trip is the ultimate test in packing and planning as far as clothing is concerned!
    As far as snorkel equipment for a child, you should double check with Tauck. The Bridges trip uses a different ship than the Peru/Machu Picchu trip. Since you mention Machu Picchu, I assume you are on the same trip we took. That one uses the Isabela II, and, while the equipment was excellent, I don't know if there would be any available in a small enough size. However, letting them know beforehand will no doubt ensure they do have the needed equipment . If your ten-year-old is anxious to snorket, it will be the experience of a lifetime!!
  • joycesw wrote:
    If your ten-year-old is anxious to snorket, it will be the experience of a lifetime!!
    I'm sure your 10 year old will be able to snorket with the best of them! ;))

:))) Luv it!

Cheers,

Jan
  • Thank you all so much for the information! We are really looking forward to this trip. :)
  • Now that I have received that wonderful duffel from Tauck for the June 15 departure to MP/Galapagos, I'm surprised it's so big. If I read the itinerary correctly, that bag is for the one night at Machu Picchu, with a 10-lb weight limit for luggage on the train. That duffel is 24x12x11 and weighs 1 lb, 12 oz empty per the tag on it.
    So…a couple questions:
    1. Traveler book says we are "urged" to use the duffel. I assume it would not be an issue if I chose to pack a SMALLER duffel to use for the Machu Picchu night? I do not want the bulk of that other duffel in my suitcase.
    2. Is the 10-lb limit ONLY for the checked bag on the train to MP? Any weight limit to the carry-on (which has a 15-lb limit on the flights)
    Thanks for any input. Now that I have my shoe choices worked out, I'm really getting excited for the trip!
  • I think y need to call Tauck to clarify, only they have the correct answers
  • Purduegal I hope you have a fabulous trip! My family will be on the very next one! If you have time would you post what worked best for you for the first week as far as what to pack. I don't know if you will have an opportunity to reply before you head to Galapagos or not, but if you do it would be appreciated. We are trying to take as little as possible.
  • I heard back from Tauck regarding the luggage for the Machu Picchu/overnight with the 10 lb luggage restriction. You CAN use your own duffle if you have a smaller one that you'd prefer to use. Also the 10 lb is for the checked bag; you can still take your camera bag/daypack/purse with you on the train, but not a "carry-on" like the small suitcases some may take on the plane.

So…I'll be taking a (MUCH) smaller duffel than was sent, will use it as a second carry-on during my flight that will carry a few things just in case my luggage fails to arrive with me in Lima. Then I'll put the duffel in my suitcase till the trip to Machu Picchu.

Stay tuned for how it works out. Working on packing now, trying to check the extended weather forecasts…which range from high 80's in Ecuador to a low in the mid-30's in Cusco. As with any trip, I guess it'll be all about the layers!!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file