Options

Delphi??

Hello,

We are booked to arrive the day before our tour begins. We were debating taking a road trip to Delphi. I am a bit disappointed that it is not included in the tour and thought it might be worth seeing. Has anyone done the same? Is it worth the travel and could it be a day trip knowing we have our welcome dinner that evening at 6 pm.

Thanks,

Gilbert

Comments

• Options
    Hi Gilbert,

If you have the time, Delphi is certainly worth seeing. Its unique place in history, as well as geography (that's why it's there, after all) make the trip very worthwhile. As I remember it, the journey is very interesting, too. I just googled Delphi tours and quite a few popped up. Seems it's about an 8 hour day trip from Athens.

Cheers,

Jan
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    I toured Delphi quite a few years ago when I was in the Navy. It was very interesting architecturally (I like ruins though) and historically.

It is a LOOOONG bus ride from Athens/Pyraeus on some fairly narrow, winding roads through the mountains. Plan on a full day. I haven't looked at the available tours, but I suspect few if any will get you back in time for the Welcome Dinner.
  • Options
    We ended up hiring a private driver and did the tour of Delphi. We LOVED it! The guide was great and we were back in time to attend the welcome dinner. It was a highlight of our trip!! Check them out if you are interested:

www.athenstaxi.net

• Options
    Hi Gilbert,

I'm so glad you enjoyed Delphi. Apart from the archaeological site itself, I remember the nearby town as being wonderfully atmospheric. Then there's the drive up to the site from the plains below, through miles and miles of olive groves … arh, the real stuff of the art of travelling. And it's really nice to hear that other people can verify your memories! ;)

Cheers,

Jan

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file