Winter versus Summer which departure

For those who have been multiple times, do you have a preference as to when to visit? Open to when can travel so want the best all around, good weather, good viewing, not too hot, not too cold. I know there is no guarantee but I am reading that some travelers are going twice a year and are doing the same trips, so just curious? if you had to do it again, what would you not do?

Comments

• we went in mid-may and it was wonderful. it is a little cold then, especially in cape town, but the day temps are wonderful after the sun warms things up a bit. i suppose there are advantages to going just after the rains, (more animals gathered around water holes...) or during the hotter times of year (less discomfort in the evening and early mornings, more sun in cape town). overall, i think the experience is a little different based on when you go, but not so much that there is a "bad" time. i'm not sure what kind of weather there would have to be to make this trip not superb.
  • edited June 2014
    Sandy. You really have to research about the areas and decide for yourself what suits you. For example, for me, I do not like heat and humidity, so that's what I avoid when looking at a trip. As well as the information about the trip, in the Before You Go section of the page for the trip, you can try looking at travel books on line,like Fodors. Often use this because it compares different times giving plus and minuses for a location. I visited South Africa in August, no rain, Cape Town, Jo"burg all fine without a coat. Safaris extremely cold when we set out coat hat and blanket in safari vehicle but warmed up later.