Best of Ireland - August 30, 2014

To anyone who has completed the 2014 Best of Ireland tour: I would really like to hear your insights into when and how much free time there was, any suggestions on where to eat when on we are own, shopping, etc. From reading other posts, it appears that the tour has changed in the last few years, so would really appreciate any insight from the 2014 tour participants.
I am also arriving a day early and looking for places to eat in Ennis within walking distance of the Old Ground Hotel. Any suggestions? I have been doing research on the internet and in tour books, but information from the source is always best.

Comments

• Have not been on this particular tour but have been to Ennis. Just down the street from the Old Ground is a restaurant pub named " Brogans". It is wonderful for typical Irish food. Also the hotel restaurant is wonderful as well. Have a great trip.
  • Having read the itinerary it is clear that you have about three afternoons free to do your own thing, whether that be shopping or extra site seeing or just relaxing and doing nothing. For places to eat other than the ones suggested already, use the knowledge of your concierge.
    . I had an Irish grandfather, yes a real Irish grandfather, he was born in Ireland, but I have never been to Ireland. Hopefully someone who has done the tour will reply. I do know it is expensive there now, more than ever, so there will probably not be any bargains. I'm not into Waterford crystal, but you may find it is cheaper in the US. Perhaps someone who has been to Ireland could let us know. Before I came or live in he US, I went to the Potteries and bought seconds Spode China to use here and found that the best quality was cheaper to buy in the stores here than the seconds quality I had bought in the factory.
  • kcfromkc wrote:
    Have not been on this particular tour but have been to Ennis. Just down the street from the Old Ground is a restaurant pub named " Brogans". It is wonderful for typical Irish food. Also the hotel restaurant is wonderful as well. Have a great trip.

kcfromkc - Thank you for the suggestion. I looked at the menus on line and they do look good. I am debating between breakfast (I arrive early the day before the tour starts) or lunch.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file